VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4160 of 52973, by Speed King

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if Gaming Peripherals count in this thread, but if they do then I got a boxed Microsoft Side Winder Precision Pro today from eBay. It was one of the original model, but it came with a Game Port to USB adapter so it works in my retro PC and my modern PC.

SWPrecisionPro.gif
Filename
SWPrecisionPro.gif
File size
226.11 KiB
Views
File comment
Side Winder Precision Pro
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I bought one of these when then first came out in 1998 but that one was Game Port only as it didn't have the circuitry to work with a 3rd Party Game Port to USB adapter. Around 2003 it seemed to stop working so I threw it out, only to learn a few years later that it was a static build up issue and the joystick could be made to function again.

Ah well I have another one now.

Reply 4161 of 52973, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
I'm curious about the 8-pin loop through and exactly how the "Diamond Dual Screen" feature is meant to work (Wiki claims there's […]
Show full quote

I'm curious about the 8-pin loop through and exactly how the "Diamond Dual Screen" feature is meant to work (Wiki claims there's an S3 processor on there somewhere, but Diamond's site doesn't mention it). As far as performance differences go, the 500TX appears to be somewhat faster (I don't know by how much), and also supports hardware texture mapping. From Symmetric's specifications for a 500TX board, performance will be lower than the Voodoo2, but it's an integrated 2D/3D board (its also 3-4 years older). Couldn't find any #s on the Diamond pages.

Some things to keep an eye out for (and again, all this based on the Symmetric card - so certainly there could be some differences) - the two 3DLabs chips can get very hot when running (even with the sink on the Glint). The ALi chip (on the back on your card) can also get fairly warm, as can the FET by the IBM DAC (I'm assuming since its in the same place on both, it serves the same function). In general having a fan providing airflow for the board is good enough IME, but putting the card in a fan-less or nearly fan-less case is not a good idea IME.

As far as those "weird IBM chips" - the Diamond site identifies them as 220MHz IBM 526 LUT DACs, but I couldn't find any information dumping that into a search engine. 😊 Under bright light I could read off of the IBM DAC on my card:

37RGB526DB22 
5OH5062

IBM 9314

PALETTE DAC
19716005VA

I'm assuming that "526" makes them the same, but I don't know. Looking up "IBM 9314 Palette DAC" returns a lot of other cards with a similar looking chip and various GPUs though.

It shows up as 2 devices in display properties in windows each output is independent it seems, other then that I can't say much.
When no driver is loaded they clone each other.
It runs 3dmark 99 OK, 3dmark 2000, it displays in monochrome, like a S3 Virge\DX does with the default windows drivers.
Rebel Assault 2 Reports it as a Vesa 1.2 compatible card with very good passing marks on its tests in dos.
It also tends to Output garbage randomly on the windows desktop menus, also kinda strange some kinda driver issue with 98 I guess.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-06-14, 19:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4162 of 52973, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Speed King wrote:

Not sure if Gaming Peripherals count in this thread, but if they do then I got a boxed Microsoft Side Winder Precision Pro today from eBay. It was one of the original model, but it came with a Game Port to USB adapter so it works in my retro PC and my modern PC.

I bought one of these when then first came out in 1998 but that one was Game Port only as it didn't have the circuitry to work with a 3rd Party Game Port to USB adapter. Around 2003 it seemed to stop working so I threw it out, only to learn a few years later that it was a static build up issue and the joystick could be made to function again.

I see those so often browsing through goodwills thrift stores.
Noone likes them it seems, I blame the crappy buttons 🤣 like the sidewinder pads there kinda not fun to use.

Reply 4163 of 52973, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its been a while since I've gotten anything worth bragging about, but today is one of those days.

first off I answered a craigslist ad with someone selling a lian-li case for $30 Link to case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16811112052

I get there and find out it is an pc-1100 plus, and it is in PRISTINE condition. I mean it looks like it just came out of the box. Every accessory and extra screw was there. Honestly I have never been so happy to spend $30 in recent memory. Icing on the cake, he included a motherboard box with accessories and a BRAND FREAKING NEW Corsair HX620W power supply. WOO!

I get it home, and I find out what inside. ( you don't look a gift horse in the mouth )

- Asus A8V motherboard. matches the box of accessories I got, so I basically have a NIB board.
- AMD 3000+ venice processor with oem heatsink
- 2x 512mb corsair ram sticks. Remember the ones with the blinking lights on top telling you how much ram was in use? I now own a pair!
- creative Audigy sb0090 A good card
- Asus V9480 (GF4 4400 se) stuck fan
- 4 port sata card. might be raid capable
- Enermax 485W power supply A budget PSU but not a bad one

I went to a thrift store nearby and found a BOXED Amiga 500 hard drive add-on kit. Like John Snow, I know THUTHIN about Amiga except the people that have them, tend to foam at the mouth and pay big bucks for hardware. Just like Apple people. But I digress. Its missing a setup floppy (if there was one) and the styrofoam inserts, but I found it neat the original $799 pricetag was on the outside of the box. ^.^ If anyone knows a way I can test this unit, or what its worth, let me know please!

LINK TO IMAGES: http://imgur.com/a/0wekd

I'd say, today was a good day.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4167 of 52973, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@luckybob - you certainly lived up to your name on this haul! 🤣 congrats! Awesome case!

Speed King wrote:
Not sure if Gaming Peripherals count in this thread, but if they do then I got a boxed Microsoft Side Winder Precision Pro today […]
Show full quote

SWPrecisionPro.gif

You can always post photos of joysticks here too..Post photos and discuss your pc joystick and game controller collection....🤣....not a bad joystick. It works great for Win9X games, but only if the buttons are in good condition and not too worn out.

Reply 4168 of 52973, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
Its been a while since I've gotten anything worth bragging about, but today is one of those days. […]
Show full quote

Its been a while since I've gotten anything worth bragging about, but today is one of those days.

first off I answered a craigslist ad with someone selling a lian-li case for $30 Link to case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16811112052

I get there and find out it is an pc-1100 plus, and it is in PRISTINE condition. I mean it looks like it just came out of the box. Every accessory and extra screw was there. Honestly I have never been so happy to spend $30 in recent memory. Icing on the cake, he included a motherboard box with accessories and a BRAND FREAKING NEW Corsair HX620W power supply. WOO!

I get it home, and I find out what inside. ( you don't look a gift horse in the mouth )

- Asus A8V motherboard. matches the box of accessories I got, so I basically have a NIB board.
- AMD 3000+ venice processor with oem heatsink
- 2x 512mb corsair ram sticks. Remember the ones with the blinking lights on top telling you how much ram was in use? I now own a pair!
- creative Audigy sb0090 A good card
- Asus V9480 (GF4 4400 se) stuck fan
- 4 port sata card. might be raid capable
- Enermax 485W power supply A budget PSU but not a bad one

I went to a thrift store nearby and found a BOXED Amiga 500 hard drive add-on kit. Like John Snow, I know THUTHIN about Amiga except the people that have them, tend to foam at the mouth and pay big bucks for hardware. Just like Apple people. But I digress. Its missing a setup floppy (if there was one) and the styrofoam inserts, but I found it neat the original $799 pricetag was on the outside of the box. ^.^ If anyone knows a way I can test this unit, or what its worth, let me know please!

LINK TO IMAGES: http://imgur.com/a/0wekd

I'd say, today was a good day.

I just came and it's not even my hardware.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 4170 of 52973, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just picked this up today at a garage/estate sale...the owners were surprised I wanted to buy it....they were going to just recycle it...I just had to rescue it.

Came with original driver install disk (thank goodness...I couldn't find much info about this computer online), and original keyboard, and an IBM 14" SVGA monitor (with only 0.39mm dot pitch 😢, but still a nice old CRT), and old original IBM ball mouse (which I probably will not use).

I booted everything up and it worked really well...power supply fan may need a little oil though because I noticed it being a little loud.

It has 4MB 70ns RAM, no cache, a 2x CD-ROM, an intel 486 DX2/66 (with passive heatsink), onboard 1MB Cirrus Logic video (SVGA), 4xISA slots, a CT2770 SB16 value card, and a modem.

It's a simple slimline desktop model that could make a nice little retro 80's to early 90's DOS gaming rig, but too bad it has no cache.

20140614_225317.jpg
Filename
20140614_225317.jpg
File size
215.82 KiB
Views
File license
20140614_225307.jpg
Filename
20140614_225307.jpg
File size
203.25 KiB
Views
File license
20140614_225504.jpg
Filename
20140614_225504.jpg
File size
290.63 KiB
Views
File license
20140614_145928.jpg
Filename
20140614_145928.jpg
File size
280.23 KiB
Views
File license
20140614_145817.jpg
Filename
20140614_145817.jpg
File size
193.31 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 4171 of 52973, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It gets better! I was putting the motherboard with some cheap dimms so I could toss the whole combo on ebay. I wasn't expecting much. But the 4800 card I have has a bad fan, so during testing I had to stop and use a different video card. Out of SHEER randomness and absent mindedness I take my dead ati x850, drop it in and turn it on. Why that card was even close to my testing area I have no idea. ( I don't throw ANYTHING neat away)

well, it turns out the mother fracker has just been PLAYING dead all this time. I haven't ran any serious tests on it, but it posts just fine. And now I'm conflicted. I WANT to use this video card to record s-video from VHS. (ATI theatre 2 chip) I was planning on a whole Socket 478 build to do this. Apparently this is the only agp 8x board I own, and the x850 xt is an 8x only card.

@retrofanatic
Thats a neat system to sell on craigslist. set it up with a few dos games and put it up for sale on ebay as a "ready to play retro gamer".

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4173 of 52973, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Nice IBM! Successor to the PS/ValuePoint line! 😀

Won a stack of proprietary CD-ROM drives cheap. 😀

Those are very hard to get now days!! Nice loot there! 😎

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4174 of 52973, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:

...an IBM 14" SVGA monitor (with only 0.39mm dot pitch 😢, but still a nice old CRT).

I think you picked the wrong smiley there 😀

Reply 4177 of 52973, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Won a stack of proprietary CD-ROM drives cheap. 😀

I was watching this one but couldn't justify the shipping for the 1 drive I was interested - that bottom left looks like my first drive, a SCSI thing I connected to my PAS16.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4178 of 52973, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

...an IBM 14" SVGA monitor (with only 0.39mm dot pitch 😢, but still a nice old CRT).

I think you picked the wrong smiley there 😀

Hehe I think he meant it isn't as small as he would like. IIRC the smallest you could find on bigger/higher-end CRTs was 0.22mm.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4179 of 52973, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
4x Turtle Beach Monterey (Tahiti + Rio daughterboard) Rev. 5.2 ISA (Boxed) (1992) One guy stuffed three of these cards in one bo […]
Show full quote

4x Turtle Beach Monterey (Tahiti + Rio daughterboard) Rev. 5.2 ISA (Boxed) (1992)
One guy stuffed three of these cards in one box with just the diskettes, and the second Monterey box I received had a single card with all manuals but no disks. So I guess I have one complete set between these two.. 😵
k6nr.jpg
8xff.jpg

Turtle Beach (Voyetra) Multisound Fiji Pro Series ISA (NOS) (1997)
do4qs.jpg

damn! this is pure pr0n for me, i've been searching a loosing bids every time I've found one, and you got so many in one shoot. congrats.

Trailing edge computing.