VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just finished installing DOS on a CF card, and I plan to do the same with Windows 3.11 and 98SE on separate CF cards.

I'd like to reduce wear on the cards if I can, what steps can I take to do this?

Reply 1 of 2, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could disable virtual memory, though that may lead to performance, stability, or compatibility issues.

Alternatively you could use something like an HDD or SSD and assign virtual memory to that drive instead of the CF cards. Of course, if you install an HDD or SSD, you might as well just install your Windows OS's on that drive anyway.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 2, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Vogons wiki mentions that some people never fill the storage past 50% and modify their swap file settings. See
"Write Amplification and wear leveling" at https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Storage# … Retro_Computers.

I think there's been some disagreement online whether or not the swap file setting makes a difference. Personally, when I'm using CF for Win98, I set the computer up to boot right into DOS. I don't know if Win98 writes much when booting, but I figured that couldn't hurt.