VOGONS

First post, by Scottmm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When recapping a motherboard I know you have to match the capacitance for the caps but can go Higher on the voltage where a
1500uf 10v (replacement) ----- 1500uf 6.3v (original) and
1500uf 16v (replacement) ----- 1500uf 10v (original)
would work. but how far out of the original Voltage spec is to far

I have a board that uses 1500uf 6.3v and pile of 1500uf 16v caps left from a previous repair the 16 will fit size wise is there any reason not to use the 16v's in place of the 6.3v's

Reply 3 of 5, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scottmm wrote on 2024-04-26, 16:02:

When recapping a motherboard I know you have to match the capacitance for the caps but can go Higher on the voltage

You can also go lower in the voltage... but you really would have to know what you are doing / where you are doing that substitute.

For example, if a cap filters a 3.3V rail on the motherboard and a 10V cap is fitted in that spot, you can actually drop the voltage rating of the cap to 6.3V, if that is needed to make the cap fit. Likewise, on the CPU V_core, where voltages are often under 2V (at least for anything Pentium 3 and later) you can surely use 2.5V or 4V caps, even if the old caps were 6.3V or 10V -rated. But again, you just have to know what rails go where on the motherboard to make this kind of substitution.

As for using a higher voltage cap than what was originally there - no problem in doing that whatsoever... so long as you can get the replacement cap to fit. Higher voltage caps are typically larger. An added benefit of that, however, is that larger caps have (usually) larger ripple current handling rating... meaning, the cap can take more heating (both externally from the circuit and from its internal charging/discharing in the circuit), which means it will likely run cooler and probably last longer too.
So in general, physically bigger caps = them running cooler. Of course, large space isn't always a given.

Also, the brand and series of caps matters a lot too, as that dictates what impedance and ripple current specs the cap will have.
On that note, you can have a larger general purpose cap still have inferior specs to a smaller cap low impedance / high RC cap.
Moreso to the point, you should look up the datasheet for each brand and model (series) of the old caps to see if the new caps are even suitable in terms of matching or exceeding the impedance and RC specs. The new cap should have same or lower impedance (ESR) ratings and same or higher ripple current (RC) ratings.

Reply 4 of 5, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Particularly regarding ESR (equivalent series resistor), some circuits rely on specific values (or close to them) and you have absolutely no idea what your specific circuit design does or requires if it was badly designed. So for this one, try to be as close as possible to the original.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 5 of 5, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-04-29, 14:22:

Particularly regarding ESR (equivalent series resistor), some circuits rely on specific values (or close to them) and you have absolutely no idea what your specific circuit design does or requires if it was badly designed. So for this one, try to be as close as possible to the original.

Not really.
You can deviate quite a bit and still have a perfectly fine running motherboard.

Remember, most electrolytic caps are rated +/-20% on their capacitance spec... which is not a very tight tolerance.
The ESR/impedance can vary even more, depending on if the cap is at "standard" room temperature (i.e. 25C), closer to freezing temperature, or very hot from use. Not uncommon to see 10x difference in ESR between these... hence why datasheets of low ESR / low impedance caps also typically list a "cold" (freezing) temperature for the impedance. As such, circuits are often designed to handle this kind of variation in parameters.

So in short, you don't have to match the ESR very very exactly. Matching it to +/- 20 to 30% is good enough. And typically, going with lower ESR than the original can often be pushed even further (up to 50% lower.)