Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-28, 12:18:
goofyahhuncle wrote on 2024-04-26, 07:20:

Have you tried testing the CPU in another board or swapping in a different CPU?

Unfortunately I don't have another CPU that will work in this board. This CPU was pulled from a working system.

Before throwing the board away, check the bios. You need a EEPROM programmer, like a TL866II-Plus.

Reply 21 of 32, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2024-04-28, 17:50:

nForce 4 SLi. Forget fixing it, it's bumpgate and nothing will fix it because it's the substrate that has gone bad.
I have had several nForce 4 boards (both AMD and Intel) that have went to the trash for that reason alone - bumpgate riddled chips that did not get a revised version with fixed bumps.

Isn't this nforce 5 sli? Either way its still bumpgate. You can heat up the NB die to around 360 C for 20-30 sec. That should at least make it work for a little bit. Also what I noticed with those bumpgate chips is that, when you apply pressure to the die, the board will POST reliably.

Socket 478 totally sucks.

Reply 22 of 32, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, even the die says NF4-SLI-SPP-A3.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 24 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-04-28, 17:56:
goofyahhuncle wrote on 2024-04-26, 07:20:

Have you tried testing the CPU in another board or swapping in a different CPU?

Unfortunately I don't have another CPU that will work in this board. This CPU was pulled from a working system.

Before throwing the board away, check the bios. You need a EEPROM programmer, like a TL866II-Plus.

Unfortunately I don't have any programmers and I don't really want to spend CAD $100 on something that I may only use a couple times. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Reply 25 of 32, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:20:

Unfortunately I don't have any programmers and I don't really want to spend CAD $100 on something that I may only use a couple times. Thank you for the suggestion though!

I understand.
But I found a picture of this board, and there was a sticker on the Bios. Yours does not have it, so that is suspcious. And clearly one symptom of a missing bios is, that the board appears to be completely dead, therefore the suggestion.

Reply 26 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:40:

I understand.
But I found a picture of this board, and there was a sticker on the Bios. Yours does not have it, so that is suspcious. And clearly one symptom of a missing bios is, that the board appears to be completely dead, therefore the suggestion.

I think this is the bios chip....

Attachments

Reply 27 of 32, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:47:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:40:

I understand.

I think this is the bios chip....

Yes.

Reply 28 of 32, by Karbist

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kotel wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:07:

Isn't this nforce 5 sli?

nForce 570 sli Intel version still has NF4 marking on it: https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-ecs-nf … 0-slit-features

anyway every Intel nForce motherboard with a passive cooler I've got either has cracked solder balls or a dead chipset,
only those with a fan on the NB heatsink have survived to this day.

Reply 29 of 32, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's because nVidia simply rebranded a few of their older chipsets during the nForce 5 era. That's why nForce 560 mobos identify with the old nF4 SLi moniker, the CK804.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 30 of 32, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also what I noticed with those bumpgate chips is that, when you apply pressure to the die, the board will POST reliably.

Yup, that's what I've been doing to my ECS MCP61AM-PM with GeForce 6150 chipset. 😁
It's dying a slow death, but I ain't letting it off the hook yet. 🤣
Every time it stops POSTing, I open the case and give the mcp heatsink a good mash / puch. That usually gets it going for a while.
And yes, I've put a small fan early on the MCP heatsink to keep it cool, which it does. Unfortunately, I got that computer 2nd hand, so most of the damage to the chipset running without extra cooling was already done.
Ah well, at least that gives me a computer to mess on without caring if it'll burn in a ball of fire. 🤣

Reply 31 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
momaka wrote on 2024-04-29, 12:39:
Yup, that's what I've been doing to my ECS MCP61AM-PM with GeForce 6150 chipset. :D It's dying a slow death, but I ain't letting […]
Show full quote

Also what I noticed with those bumpgate chips is that, when you apply pressure to the die, the board will POST reliably.

Yup, that's what I've been doing to my ECS MCP61AM-PM with GeForce 6150 chipset. 😁
It's dying a slow death, but I ain't letting it off the hook yet. 🤣
Every time it stops POSTing, I open the case and give the mcp heatsink a good mash / puch. That usually gets it going for a while.
And yes, I've put a small fan early on the MCP heatsink to keep it cool, which it does. Unfortunately, I got that computer 2nd hand, so most of the damage to the chipset running without extra cooling was already done.
Ah well, at least that gives me a computer to mess on without caring if it'll burn in a ball of fire. 🤣

Just tried pushing down on the heatsink, rocking it, etc... and no change. I think this board is dead 🙁 OH well, it was worth a try. Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions!

Reply 32 of 32, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, as a last resort, perhaps give the chipset a "no-effort" lo-tec reflow (e.g. a re-heat) on your stovetop.
Prop the motherboard so that it sits about 2 inches (4-6 cm) above one of the burners on your stove, with the chipset positioned right above the burner that you'll use. Doesn't matter if it's an electric or gas stove - both will work OK (except induction type - don't try it on that one.) Make sure all heatsinks are removed, along with the coin cell (CR2032) CMOS battery. Turn stove to low and let the board sit for a few minutes. If you don't have a temperature meter (I don't expect you to), take a fork or a spoon or a knife and moisten it with water. Now put a drop on the motherboard, close to the chipset. If you hear sizzle and the water evaporates, then you know it's gone above 100C. If not, keep heating (might have to increase the stove / burner a notch or two.) Once you get the water to evaporate, keep the board on there for another minute or two, so it goes well above 100C. Then turn off heat and let the board cool off to room temperature (may take 10-15 minutes for that.)

For some of these nVidia chipsets, re-heating to about 150C can sometimes get them going again. So if you're up for some "electronics cookin'", give this a try.

I know there are also a lot of videos showing how to do a reflow in the oven, but I don't like to suggest those, because it tends to make the oven stink like burned electronics for a bit afterwards, and I do use my oven to cook food.