VOGONS

First post, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in 2013 I picked up my new to me Compaq Pesario 5522. A nice 100km evening drive with Bella the mooch riding gunshot. It's in very clean condition and came with all the original setup CDs and disks to set it back to factory defaults if the need arises. Of everything currently on it will be wiped. My model came out in October 1995, 2 months after the Windows 95 release. Indications are the original install software included Dos/ Wfw/Tabworks/MS Works. Also came with a few dos shareware games CD compilations(Wolf brand) and a Windows 95 upgrade CD. I haven't come across a product review as yet apart from my vcfed.org post when I purchased it and though it'd be a good idea to record it here as well.

Same form factor as my CDS 524 but sports a P75 as opposed to a 486DX2/66. Fired it up and it counts up to 24megs of ram, has a 605meg hdd. Looks like it has a built in modem but unsure of its speed as yet. The keyboard LH Ctl & Alt keys seem to be non functioning or disabled but the RH ones are fine which appears to be the only issue with it.

It was set up to run originally a Compaq branded trial version of "Buttons", a Dos based graphical menu system I haven't seen before. The Windows 95 button pops up with a nice dialoque box stating Windows 95 will take 60-90sec(only that long) to start up.

Anyway, another nice compact Compaq system to play with. Anyone else own one of these or others in the 5500 range in another life?

Compaq5522_3.jpg
Filename
Compaq5522_3.jpg
File size
16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Compaq5522_2.jpg
Filename
Compaq5522_2.jpg
File size
24.41 KiB
Views
File license
Compaq5522_1.jpg
Filename
Compaq5522_1.jpg
File size
75.34 KiB
Views
File license

Ran the upgrade cd and Windows 95 is displayed on startup in glorious 600x800 16-bit colour. Can go to a bigger screen size but there's noticable flicker. Now to party like it's 1995 baby!!

The screen the display doesn't reach out to the edge of the CRT and there is no way to adjust that without taking the back of a fiddling with some pots. Its one thing I adjusted on the CDS524 and should've been done before they left the factory. Sound is crisp with the 3 speaker function buttons on the rhs all working. One is mute the other two raise or lower the speaker volumes.

Some curious software is on it. Including what I listed above there's Compaq Operater which appears to be a fax/phone assistant, Print Artist and a lot more. Most is registerware though so will be biffed. Having a gander at whats on the hdd it looks like it was mainly just used for running Dos games, a Warcraft cd was still in the cdrom drive. $NZ30 well sent.

Below is a quote from the vcfed.org by user wesleyfurr's

I

I worked for a local computer repair type place for 4 years right out of high school. I remember working on one similar to this […]
Show full quote

I worked for a local computer repair type place for 4 years right out of high school. I remember working on one similar to this once upon a time. Never did much care for those all-in-one jobbies...but that's a personal preference. I remember that one specifically...I forget exactly what the problem was, but I remember the older guy looking at the properties on the C: drive and seeing it count up thousands and thousands of files and complaining about how many files there were and how that was probably causing problems to have that many, etc, etc. From what I gather, the guy went WAY back in computer days...when a few files on a disk were a lot! I don't recall it being any speed demon either...but likely just a pokey hard drive as much as anything...

On the desk behind me still sits my wife's college computer a Presario 4112 - P120. I think it's got 4 or 8Mb on board and I added something like 32 or 64Mb to it at one point. Hasn't been turned on in years...but makes a cute monitor stand. It actually was her brother's (2 years older) when he started college. But...my wife's computer for college was one of those crappy MediaGX Presario's (2200 series or something like that) and had no expansion slots, so she couldn't add a NIC. Ended up swapping with her brother who was no longer on campus and didn't need the NIC. I think she ended up with the better machine...

At that job, I was sent to training class and worked as a Compaq certified repair tech, and we did warranty repairs for Compaq. Should still have some old copies of the Maintenance & Service guides around here somewhere if you ever need detailed info of any sort...

Wesley

Having two ISA slots at least there's an option for a NIC. That was one of first things I did with my CDS 524 after I got it. Windows 95 is quite snappy without the IE garbage. According to the software installed it'll take a max of 72megs with 8megs on the slide in mobo. I think I've still got two 32meg 72 pin Simms floating around somewhere. Tried cleaning the Ctl and Alt contacts but no joy. I've got plenty of spare ps/2 keyboards if needed but I'll keep an eye out for a Compaq branded one when browsing about the thrift stores. Usually I don't bother but would look neat on display.

I found the component upgrade ref.

Filename
compaq_presariopresario_5526.pdf
File size
46.78 KiB
Downloads
73 downloads
File license

Link to Compaq Presario CDS500(486) series systems with the same form factor. Re: Compaq Presario 500 series HD replacement. (All-in-one).

As usual you are welcome to add your experiences to this thread. It could be a good resource for others 5500 series Presarios.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 8, by bitslasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! I just found one locally. Mine is the 5528. I caught the bug to get one of these after seeing the older one LGR has, and it reminded me of these little all-in-one computers.

The one I have has had a journey it seems. While it still superficially looks really nice-- underneath the plastic is slowly turning to dust (brittle)-- is yours doing this? Mine has had the top mounts for the CRT snap-- I've got to get creative on how to fix that. Of course it was probably not always handled with the care it needed, I found it at a recycler. Not sure how many years it spent in a hot warehouse. The Sony CD drive was dead (wouldn't spin, although the door worked great!). I replaced it with another Compaq drive (the slot loading kind). The hard disk was also dead. I replaced that with one of those "Disk On Modules", a 4GB one. It recognized it and works great with it, all 4GB!

It was a challenge finding the software-- would you consider ripping the disks and CDs and uploading them to archive.org? Compaq pulled all files for systems older than 10 years from their site a couple years ago. I was able to find the diagnostic partition disks and stuff off an EU site, but it was luck. It'd be nice if you could make it easier maybe to find these files.

I really love the computer's small size. It also has a really nice sound chipset (ESS with a Yamaha OPL3 I've read-- need to visually confirm). The screen is super small, but for older DOS and early Windows games, it seems ideal. I have [too] many computers, and it's quite refreshing to have something compact and all together like this. No separate monitor and cables to worry about. Although given this guy is 26 years old (as of writing), not sure how long all the parts will hold out. I'm worried about continued degradation of the plastic. Guess in this day in age all of us folks interested enough to rescue/collect these things are also becoming amateur electronics repairmen. 😀

--Daniel

Reply 4 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fired up the 5522 today after a few years in storage. Made a hell of a squeal out of the speakers initially but after about an hour of being on it the noise disappeared completely. I'm leaving it on overnight to see how it is going.

Reply 5 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fired her up today and got the squeal again. Seems it appears to have a microphone mid way up up on the left hand side of the monitor bezel. Pulled the front portion of the drive bay cover off. Squirted some CRC 5.56 in the two cut outs in th bezel and gave the speaker areas a good dose. Left it for an hour and the noise seems to have gone completely. The old KISS approach seems to work well when fault finding/fixing...😉

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-30, 21:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-07-30, 18:18:

These are nifty

If you are tight on space I'd say they'd be ideal for old skool stuff. It has 32megs plus the onboard 8megs of ram.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-30, 18:24:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-07-30, 18:18:

These are nifty

If you are tight on space I'd say they'd be ideal for old skool stuff. It has 32megs plus the onboard 8megs of ram.

Yeah that's why I'd like to find one someday. Easy to tuck away in a corner. I've got a little Deskpro system with a P3 and it's nice enough but still have to stack a monitor on it.