VOGONS

First post, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks, trying to go through my different SB cards, to see which to keep, which to sell, etc, and when it comes to the SB Pro I often come across threads where they talk about how the SB Pro (any other models?) reverse the stereo channels, and talk about this issue as if was the greatest evil on this earth, with real concern...

So, I just have to ask, maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but ok, so the left channel comes out the right speaker and the right channel comes out the left speaker... Ok... So? So what?

Who really gives??? Why is this such a big issue for some folks?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-19, 00:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, if you have positional sound coming out of the wrong side, then it is bad for playing games.

Really it is more of an issue with the game programming than the cards from what I have seen while looking into it. Easy fix is to either swap your speakers or make a little switch box to swap the channels.

Really not a big deal either way.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's mostly an issue in first person games, when you're trying to locate enemies by sound. Otherwise, not a big deal.

Also, a lot of games give you the option of testing stereo in setup and reversing the channels if necessary.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 11, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-06-19, 03:44:

It's mostly an issue in first person games, when you're trying to locate enemies by sound. Otherwise, not a big deal.

Also, a lot of games give you the option of testing stereo in setup and reversing the channels if necessary.

Did games that old as to support sbpro and not newer cards even implement real positional audio...?

Reply 5 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-06-19, 02:57:

my SBPro (CT1330A) does not reverse stereo

I think this is an urban legend

The CT1330(A) is the reference for stereo PCM sound blasters as it is the first one of those, so it obviously can't have reversed stereo compared to itself . Or am I missing the point completely ?

My understanding is that some SB Pro clones have reversed stereo PCM compared to CT1330(A) and CT1600 .

Reply 6 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
walterg74 wrote on 2020-06-19, 03:55:

Did games that old as to support sbpro and not newer cards even implement real positional audio...?

Obviously, the SBPro didn't have HRTF as featured on later sound cards which support Aureal 3D and EAX.

However, even basic stereo support in games as old as the original Doom allows you to determine if an enemy is on your left or your right by the sounds that they make. This is relevant when you're fighting in dark rooms or when an enemy is otherwise hidden from your view.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rawit wrote on 2020-06-19, 07:42:

Yup. Only some clones have issues with reversed stereo.

SBPro1 CT1330A, lets solve the Reversed Stereo myth!

...unless the games were actually written with those clones in mind and reversed stereo in software themselves. Iirc Magic Carpet did that. Play Magic Carpet with a 'correct' card and you hear sound on the wrong side anyway.

And just to complicate matters, lots of cards wired up their wavetable headers with stereo inverted too, even if PCM stereo isn't.

Reply 9 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the other hand after playing with the SB pro 2 and other Sound blaster cards I noticed that the SB pro 2 was often playing sounds at a different pitch ... I don't know what the heck is causing that, is it a programming issue, a hardware issue, a problem in my computer ... I have litterally no idea. But there is a problem somewhere

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-06-19, 04:22:

my SBPro (CT1330A) does not reverse stereo

The CT1330(A) is the reference for stereo PCM sound blasters as it is the first one of those, so it obviously can't have reversed stereo compared to itself . Or am I missing the point completely ?

My understanding is that some SB Pro clones have reversed stereo PCM compared to CT1330(A) and CT1600 .

I guess you missed the point then. Clones being wrong is not a SBPro problem. If the clones are backwards and idiot devs of the time wrote to the clones, then that has nothing at all to do with the "sound blaster pro"

Reply 11 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-06-19, 08:38:

...unless the games were actually written with those clones in mind and reversed stereo in software themselves. Iirc Magic Carpet did that. Play Magic Carpet with a 'correct' card and you hear sound on the wrong side anyway.

And just to complicate matters, lots of cards wired up their wavetable headers with stereo inverted too, even if PCM stereo isn't.

ok so then magic carpet is just a broken game, has nothing at all to do with the sound blaster pro