VOGONS

First post, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this Motherboard for the ridiculously cheap price of $21 AUD delivered, listed as working.
Got it and plugged it in with cpu, ram, video card and all I got was momentary fans flick then off.
After some more time wasting I poked around with my multimeter and found a near short circuit of
67 ohms between the 4 pin atx 12v and ground connector. A bit of further investigation and one of the power
mosfets is a dead short, I removed it and the short is gone. i've just ordered some IPD13N03LA Fets and also some
IPD06N03LA fets and will see if it's all good in a few weeks.

Attachments

• Fet removed.jpg
    Filename
    Fet removed.jpg
    File size
    1.89 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Asus P4P800-E.jpg
    Filename
    Asus P4P800-E.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good luck with your project. I have a soft spot for P4P800-E boards - they are the most feature-rich Socket 478 boards out there, even if not the most reliable. 😉

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 5, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:
Got this Motherboard for the ridiculously cheap price of $21 AUD delivered, listed as working. Got it and plugged it in with cpu […]
Show full quote

Got this Motherboard for the ridiculously cheap price of $21 AUD delivered, listed as working.
Got it and plugged it in with cpu, ram, video card and all I got was momentary fans flick then off.
After some more time wasting I poked around with my multimeter and found a near short circuit of
67 ohms between the 4 pin atx 12v and ground connector. A bit of further investigation and one of the power
mosfets is a dead short, I removed it and the short is gone. i've just ordered some IPD13N03LA Fets and also some
IPD06N03LA fets and will see if it's all good in a few weeks.

I had almost the exact problem with a P5P800-VM, i bought new and it worked for a while and it suddenly died but on my case was a cold solder joint on a mosfet which i fixed by applying no clean flux with a flux pen and inserting a tiny bead of solder on the soldering iron tip and applying heat to the joint.
But yeah, probably replacing the shorted mosfet will bring this board back to life.
Good luck.

Reply 4 of 5, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure you'll fix it. I just revived a P4C800 Deluxe that kept giving me memory codes on POST. Thus will be my first foray into P4 builds, as I was an Athlon guy back then.

Is that all you do to check for a bad fet by checking continuity? Guess it makes sense for any component with resistance.

Reply 5 of 5, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroBoogie wrote:

I'm sure you'll fix it. I just revived a P4C800 Deluxe that kept giving me memory codes on POST. Thus will be my first foray into P4 builds, as I was an Athlon guy back then.
Is that all you do to check for a bad fet by checking continuity? Guess it makes sense for any component with resistance.

A fet could either short out or go open circuit, but generally they short out. Back in 2003 I was desperate to upgrade my ageing Duron 650 system and the Athlon 64 had just come out and was extremely
expensive, so went with the P4. I have a P4P800 deluxe that I could compare some measurements with and I'm very certain that it will be good.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.