VOGONS

First post, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Recently I aquired a FIX VA-503+ but the DIN connector for the keyboard is broken. Can this be replaced without much trouble?

Reply 3 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're cheap via ebay, either listed as a DIN jack or MIDI jack. Double check the footprint, of course.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 9, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:

Recently I aquired a FIX VA-503+ but the DIN connector for the keyboard is broken. Can this be replaced without much trouble?

Depends on the quality of your soldering iron, but if it's got enough power then it's not a bad job. If you have a cheap low-power one you might have trouble (though it may be possible with patience, just remember to add globs of solder to the iron itself to help it make a good thermal junction with the existing solder on the board).

Funny thing is I also had a FIC VA-503 that had the keyboard port die years ago.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 5 of 9, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
gdjacobs wrote:

They're cheap via ebay, either listed as a DIN jack or MIDI jack. Double check the footprint, of course.

Thanks, ordered identical looking one as there is currently on my board. ebay? aliexpress is a good friend of mine aswell for this kind of stuff (quality is usually about the same or it doesn't matter and no shipping)

kenrouholo wrote:
Richo wrote:

Depends on the quality of your soldering iron, but if it's got enough power then it's not a bad job. If you have a cheap low-power one you might have trouble (though it may be possible with patience, just remember to add globs of solder to the iron itself to help it make a good thermal junction with the existing solder on the board).

Funny thing is I also had a FIC VA-503 that had the keyboard port died years ago.

I use a electric desolder pump (yes I am to lazy for a regular one) and Aoyue solder station, although when I purchased it I only intended to use for small and lightweight soldering (caps and gameboy battery changes) so its only 35W but does the job well, guess this shouldn't be a problem either then.

Reply 6 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not as good as the original Hakko station, but definitely a step up from an unregulated pencil iron.

Reply 7 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenrouholo wrote:
Richo wrote:

Funny thing is I also had a FIC VA-503 that had the keyboard port die years ago.

Preheating the board with a hot air gun, or even a hairdryer, helps a lot. As long as you avoid heating electrolytic caps and plastic details, going as high as 150 deg C should be ok, but of course it's safer to keep the temperature as low as possible.

My personal opinion is that chisel tips works best for desoldering from thick multi layer laminate, where good heat transfer is crucial. A desoldering pump will be extremely helpful too.

Reply 8 of 9, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
kaputnik wrote:
kenrouholo wrote:
Richo wrote:

Preheating the board with a hot air gun, or even a hairdryer, helps a lot. As long as you avoid heating electrolytic caps and plastic details, going as high as 150 deg C should be ok, but of course it's safer to keep the temperature as low as possible.

My personal opinion is that chisel tips works best for desoldering from thick multi layer laminate, where good heat transfer is crucial. A desoldering pump will be extremely helpful too.

I have a electric de soldering pump so that's all I need to desoldere something. Didn't want to spent to much at the time on the equipment as I didn't intend on using it for more then caps or light work.

Reply 9 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:

There's lots of tricks you can use including foiling the surrounding area and heat gunning the connector from underneath. I doubt it's necessary, though. With a chisel tip and some solder to improve coupling, it should work in a straightforward fashion. I usually like to have the PCB vertical so I can use the iron on the top of the board and the sucker on the back.