VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I recently bought a skulltrail board and in at a loss for what OS to use with it.

The only os I have the will work with it is advance server 2000.
I like the OS and would love to use it, but it's not a good match.

My first thought was server 08, but after looking at the cost of a copy.... No way!

7 is too new and vista does not seem right. Xp... Abit, well I don't like it and would have to buy a 64bit copy to use 8gb of ram.

So then I thought of server 2003 64bit, not sure were to find a copy of that.

Also Windows Home Server?

I just don't know at this point???

Maybes Linux with a Vm?

What would you run on it?

Reply 1 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Server 2003 64bit would be good. Ebay is a thought, or you know, find a good source. Honestly 7 Pro would work great and run well on it, might be easier to just use that.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 6, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unless you're specifically wanting to use it as a server, I'd recommend either Windows XP Pro x64 Edition or Windows 7.

Unless you want "maximum backward compatibility", then I'd use plain Windows XP Pro, not the x64 edition.

Reply 3 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly its skulltrail, if you want to be accurate in how it was used, you'd install Vista with either Crossfire HD3870 X2 or SLI 9800GX2 or SLI 8800 Ultra

Reply 4 of 6, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:

Honestly its skulltrail, if you want to be accurate in how it was used, you'd install Vista with either Crossfire HD3870 X2 or SLI 9800GX2 or SLI 8800 Ultra

Going for two low power 9800gt's.
But it will be used for a server too... that's why I'm so tripped up.

If server 2003 x64 for cheaper Id go for it.

Reply 5 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dual boot! Find an ISO image online for 2003 and buy just a scrap keycode off ebay maybe? Then install 7 as well so you can use it for both?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 6, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ODwilly wrote:

Dual boot! Find an ISO image online for 2003 and buy just a scrap keycode off ebay maybe? Then install 7 as well so you can use it for both?

Now that's a bad idea all over. Sorry.
This is going to be a vogons game server. Maybe a mail server too.
My plain is to host more then one game from it, but I also want to use it for my self.
This is why I'm at a loss. If it was just a game server I'd put cent OS or BSD on it and run windows in a VM when needed.

But I want to be able to play a game or two my self, centOS and BSD will not do that

I thought about 2003 a lot, but I don't know about a 32bit OS with 16gb of ram, even with PAE that's sounds like a bad idea.

Etch game will have its own VM and the mail server will be on the host OS. This is why I was thinking of server 08 or 03.