VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this cool youtube channel that features loads of MIDI synths, some old and newer ones. It is basically only piano sound comparison betwen these devices using a Chopin classical piece. In my opinion this is quite cool, check some of these known devices that could be used in some DOS games:

Casio CSM-1, used in some Sierra titles the piano sound is amazing for such an old device!

Yamaha FB-01, yep used in some more Sierra adventure titles as well and the basis for the IBM MFC, the OPP sound chip sounds great in the higher notes and not so great in the lower pitched ones. But hey this is FM synthesis afterall.

Roland CM-64 LA mode, this should be a pretty known community sound. This is a loved device but i think its piano sound is not the strongest point of the LA devices.

Roland CM-64 PCM mode, now using its CM-32P part which unfortunately is irrelevant for DOS games shows its strenght here.

Now for some GM devices:

Roland CM-500 GS mode, a pretty well known piano sound around here.

Yamaha MU-2000 XG native mode, wow sounds pretty awesome in XG mode. Too bad that no DOS games used XG devices natively.

Roland SC-8850 in 88Pro map, sounds pretty amazing as well.

Reply 2 of 4, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roland CM-64 LA mode - MT-32 piano has too sharp attack, thus it's quite recognizable.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3 of 4, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

Roland CM-64 LA mode - MT-32 piano has too sharp attack, thus it's quite recognizable.

In my opinion it's more down to the LA technology itself. Usually percussion stuff sounds awesome with LA synths. But for me Pianos never did.

I think for its age the CASIO device sounds awesome. Other instruments sound like ass but the Piano is great. Even the FB-01 sounds good until it hits the lower notes.

Reply 4 of 4, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm subscribed to this guy already, he did comparisons with the famous cannian.mid as music from a couple of sega games. the akai sg01v sounds the best followed by proteus 1 which sounds like old 90s childrens entertainment.

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ