VOGONS

RIP Am5x86

Topic actions

First post, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

16 months ago, I rebooted my DOS PC to get back into Windows 95, then I heard some noises and there was nothing on screen. I then rebooted and BIOS screen came up and it got stuck at the screen where your supposed to see the words Starting Windows 95 (They didn't appear) At 1st I thought it was like a hard drive crash or something.

Fast foward to a few days ago and I ran a boot disc on the machine and found out that the files where still accessible on the C Drive (But the AUTOEXEC was missing and stuff)
So I formatted it and installed Windows 95 from scratch.
Initially, it worked out well. But when I like try to turn it off, it gets stuck in a black screen (The message letting you know when its safe to turn off your computer doesn't show up)

Then it got worse, I ranned the game Speedy Eggbert on the machine yesterday for the 2nd time and then the machine frooze, I rebooted and there again, The Black screen of nothing.
Then I tried booting off of a floppy and the machine hanged also.

It looks like my machine is doomed:( (Unless anyone here knows what could be wrong with it)

Reply 2 of 14, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

It could be as simple as bad ram. Try memtest86 (you might have to use an older version to work on a 486)

OK, Send me a link to the newest version that will run on a 486 and then I'll take a look

Reply 5 of 14, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dakkiller wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

It could be as simple as bad ram. Try memtest86 (you might have to use an older version to work on a 486)

OK, Send me a link to the newest version that will run on a 486 and then I'll take a look

Please send me a link.

Thankyou for your help.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 14, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

Could be as well cache. I'd refit every chip, might be the contact is lost when parts are heated under load.

I just dragged my PC out again and I heard some rattling
Opened it up and fount a Metal Plate came off the back and was touching the motherboard and video card.

Could that also be causing the freezing problem?

Reply 7 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you need to try an other power supply... These AT style ones where the worst on the planet! I guess your power supply have leaking caps i guess..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 10 of 14, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

I am fairly sure this should work on 486 class machines: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest8 … 2.11.floppy.zip
You need to use it to build a bootable floppy disk

I can't use it sadly because the program that writes a bootable floppy doesn't work on 64-bit Windows
Mind sending me a premade Floppy Image?

Reply 11 of 14, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dakkiller wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

I am fairly sure this should work on 486 class machines: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest8 … 2.11.floppy.zip

I can't use it sadly because the program that writes a bootable floppy doesn't work on 64-bit Windows

I have no issue making bootable floppies on my 64bit windows 7. Also you if you have enough ram you could try running a 32 bit windows VM.

you can make a bootable floppy via floppy format options but, some programs prefer to image the floppy them selves and those might require a 32 bit windows.

Reply 12 of 14, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Hello, I forgot the password for my internet connection.
- Wait a minute... Please put it down, your password is 2sfd5gdg.
- I can not put it down because I don't have a pen. Could you send me a premade paper with my password over mail?

Seriously, man. You've got to learn to do things youself.

Reply 13 of 14, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dakkiller wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Did you try install64.bat?
If not I could make one tomorrow if I have time but I don't know how much that would help if
you can't write images to the floppy.

Reply 14 of 14, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:
Did you try install64.bat? If not I could make one tomorrow if I have time but I don't know how much that would help if you can' […]
Show full quote
Dakkiller wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Did you try install64.bat?
If not I could make one tomorrow if I have time but I don't know how much that would help if
you can't write images to the floppy.

Since May 5, 2014, I've finally figured out how to make the floppy (And with that Metal Plate out, the system no longer locked up and the tests had passed)
But then I realised that the Installer for AWE64 wouldn't detect the card (Which is why it didn't detect when I ranned Windows 95)
Yesterday, I removed the card and saw a spec on the connector and after getting it off, the sound card finally got detected again.
So as of right now, my Am5x86 lives again