VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to fix broken voodoo 2 cards?
Every single 3DFX Voodoo 2 card i ever bought was faulty.

It gives perfect pass trough image, but freezes the computer when i start 3D games like GlQuake.
Also, my Gainward Voodoo 2 dragon 3000 freezes and gives black screen when i click on the properties card for it.

Is this faulty main video processor or an component in between?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What i think, i think those cards become broken because of overclocking the processors..
If you realy want to fix those cards.. Replacing the processor may might work..
You need to have SMD soldering skills to do that.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 10, by BuuBox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems strange to encounter so many faulty cards. Have you tried them in a different system?

I have a Voodoo 1 card that had the same symptoms you described (pass through okay, crash on properties and 3D games) in one system, but worked reliably in another.

Reply 4 of 10, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

what if you cool them down?
Could be chipset issues, pci bios settings etc.
I would not ditch them, if you need to throw them out, i want to buy them from you for certain.

I could use the SOJ ram very much.

Reply 5 of 10, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gainward Voodoo 2 Dragon 3000 has its own heat sinks on all major chips.
I tested it in 3 computers so far, it failed to work in all 3. I will do one final test in my Vectra 5 XU.
Would have done it today, but right after installing windows it got damaged (retarded). Protection error and what not crap, now i need to reinstall again...

Reply 6 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had this problem as well but never trash them as the ram on them is so difficult and expensive to find. Scrap the ram and mod a working one for extra memory on each TMU. Frame buffer on the 8mb and 12mb cards is already maxed but you can go 8mb on each tmu easy.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:

I had this problem as well but never trash them as the ram on them is so difficult and expensive to find. Scrap the ram and mod a working one for extra memory on each TMU. Frame buffer on the 8mb and 12mb cards is already maxed but you can go 8mb on each tmu easy.

I wonder what a card like that would look like?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

It has been done to the V1 and the Rush with good results, performance wise there is improvement but resolution also has gains like being able to play at 800x600 when you were only limited to 640x480.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

It has been done to the V1 and the Rush with good results, performance wise there is improvement but resolution also has gains like being able to play at 800x600 when you were only limited to 640x480.

Could you provide some pictures or links? This sounds impossible.

Reply 10 of 10, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got two more Voodoo 2 cards lately, only one works, Diamond Voodoo 2 12MB (Yaaaaay!), while the other two dont 🙁
I tried Gainward Voodoo Dragon 3000 in Vectra 5 XU, but same thing as in previous computers, black screen, blinking monitor diode, when trying to go into properties.
Windows detects it, but i guess its broken completely.

@nforce4max
Do you know what could cause this? Bad graphics processor?