Reply 21 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I don't know. But it works 😀

I see, thanks again. Will try with 8GB CF first for my old DOS rig. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 29, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

When you partition the drives with fdisk, after formatting do a FDISK/MBR otherwise many new CF cards will not boot.

orcish75 wrote:

On Windows 2000 and above (not sure with Win95/98 as I haven't tested it), you won't be able to install the OS on a standard CF card as it will always be detected as a removable device. You'll need to get an industrial CF card

Please don't spread half/misinformation.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I see, so I guess FDISK/MBR also sets the byte to fixed as well as making it MBR, doesn't it?

... or this happens ^

Reply 23 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey newbie, how about you contribute with some actual findings before accusing people of spreading mis-information. Everything I talk about in this forum has been established through hands-on findings.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 29, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hey newbie

Hello amateur.

how about you contribute with some actual findings

search.php?author_id=27013&sr=posts

HTH

before accusing people of spreading mis-information.

Not accusation. Fact.

Everything I talk about in this forum has been established through hands-on findings.

By all means please elaborate on what "fdisk /mbr" exactly does according to you, and what it has to do with CF cards specifically.

See ya!

Reply 25 of 29, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about contributing to the thread and helping people with their problems instead of quoting "Please don't spread half/misinformation." in just about every thread you've ever replied to.

Reply 26 of 29, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
orcish75 wrote:

How about contributing to the thread and helping people with their problems instead of quoting "Please don't spread half/misinformation." in just about every thread you've ever replied to.

How about you don't try to derail just about every thread you have ever posted to.

Reply 27 of 29, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about you don't try to derail just about every thread you have ever posted to.

This thread has been derailed due to you being unable to contribute anything meaningful to it.

Everyone, please do not feed this troll..

Kreshna, I apologise for derailing this thread because of the troll.

Anyway, back on topic, another option to consider are Disk on Modules or DOMs. They're basically CF cards in a different form factor and are almost always true IDE devices and don't have the removable bit set. Not sure what size you're looking for, but here's a 32GB device listed on EBay. You'll more than likely need a 44pin female to male converter to use it in your laptop.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingspec-32GB-32G-I … =item27da997097

Reply 29 of 29, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FDISK /MBR rewrote the Master Boot Record for the drive. This was important because this is what early viruses destroyed or used to launch their payload. The MBR is before the sectors where the partition tables are, so even if a partition is a primary and set to active, if the MBR isn't right, it wouldn't boot. Maybe this is why running FDISK /MBR gets the CF cards booting, correcting the MBR. Some of this is speculation and some is from my personal experience with FDISK /MBR. Your mileage will vary as I haven't tried it on my CF cards via an adapter yet. I still have a P3-500 HP system that I want to turn into a file server booting 98se and running off of a CF card.