VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So,what motherboard I should use?
I have 3 Celerons (1 coppermine at 66MHz FSB and 2 Tualatins at 100MHz FSB 😮)and one early Pentium 3 (1GHz,it looks the same as a Celeron 600MHz).
Also,I have decent cooling for it,and 384 MBs of RAM,and a S3 Trio 3D/2X.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 34, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There aren't any ASUS Socket 370 boards or top manufacturer boards in my town(like Aopen,Abit and much like those) so that's why I included in the title.

Reply 3 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

There aren't any ASUS Socket 370 boards or top manufacturer boards in my town(like Aopen,Abit and much like those) so that's why I included in the title.

So what is available in your town? There were heaps of those boards made.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 34, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mostly I came across an Acer S58M one which didn't work and a Jetway 694AS Rev1.1 which also didn't work.

Reply 5 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And ordering a motherboard from the internet isn't an option? Or are you already looking on the net and referring to what's available in your town as to what will ship to your town?

The only advice I could give you is to not get a Dell P3 board (because of their proprietary PSU design) and not take any boards that have any bulged or leaking caps.

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 34, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What town would that be? Someone might be able to find something in your area or perhaps even ship you something, but if you want to be vague about where you are then people can't even consider it.

Reply 7 of 34, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's quite a few other manufacturers of old boards that could be considered:

Tyan
Soyo
Chaintech
Commate (aka T-Commate)
PC Chips
ECS
Epox
Biostar
Mercury
Supermicro
Foxconn
Acorp
Shuttle
QDI
OPTi

probably more...

Reply 8 of 34, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never buy from the internet (I have small amount of money)and mostly the boards are at luck,but hey,as long as it's working,i'd make it superior to any dual core or Sempron AM2 PC.(weird)Also,I live in Bacau,Romania.I'll find myself one,at least new ones for very cheap.Last time I got a Acorp one which lasted me long,and so sad I didn't keep it to repair,it had two or three caps that were a little moving,but nonetheless it was working (had a 600MHz Coppermine).Right now I kill time myself looking at various weird boards ranging from Socket 7 to Socket 370.Aopen AX3S Pro is an example.I'd dream to it with a 1GHz Coppermine overclocked to the max(decent cooler?Check!)and 1GB of RAM.

Reply 10 of 34, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let's keep fingers crossed until Sunday (that's when I get my boards from my country fair,prices are incredibly small!For 8 bucks i made an entire PC)that the board I'll find (if I will find one)will support 133MHz memory.

Reply 11 of 34, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welp, Tualatins are not going to work on a plain 133MHz motherboard (not without tweaking anyway). Tualatin boards are few, I think ASUS did a couple of those, as did Abit and Gigabyte. I've got a GA-6VTXE for example.
Don't know if the whole Tualatin deal is worth it, depends on what you want to do really. Finding a cheap 133MHz compatible socket 370 motherboard without Tualatin support should be very easy though!

Reply 12 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Welp, Tualatins are not going to work on a plain 133MHz motherboard (not without tweaking anyway). Tualatin boards are few, I think ASUS did a couple of those, as did Abit and Gigabyte. I've got a GA-6VTXE for example.
Don't know if the whole Tualatin deal is worth it, depends on what you want to do really. Finding a cheap 133MHz compatible socket 370 motherboard without Tualatin support should be very easy though!

He want's 1GB of memory, so Intel i815 is out of the question.

And I wish they still had good computer fairs in The Netherlands (at least close to where I live). RIP PC Dumpdag 😢

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 34, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:
There's quite a few other manufacturers of old boards that could be considered: […]
Show full quote

There's quite a few other manufacturers of old boards that could be considered:

Tyan
Soyo
Chaintech
Commate (aka T-Commate)
PC Chips
ECS
Epox
Biostar
Mercury
Supermicro
Foxconn
Acorp
Shuttle
QDI
OPTi

probably more...

ECS is not worth looking into, IMO. Not only do they get absolutely terrible reviews online, but I once had a Socket 478 board made by them that would absolutely refuse to work with Windows 2000 or XP. It kept displaying MUP.sys errors. 🤣 I could install Win98SE just fine, but I'm guessing that's because it has a higher tolerance for flaky hardware.

Also, I once owned a Soyo Socket 370 Tualatin board that I really wanted to build a system with, but the IDE controller on it was toast, and I remember the previous owner complaining about it crashing all the time. 🤣

Reply 14 of 34, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CPU i'll use is a SL4C8 1GHz Pentium 3.

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    Filename
    p3.jpg
    File size
    23.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 34, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Don't know if the whole Tualatin deal is worth it, depends on what you want to do really.

Other than the OMFGijustshatmyselfcrazy, look a 1.6ghz P3!!!!, really not much point, and not cheap/ easy either.

Reply 16 of 34, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello countryman!
Here in the West I had no problems finding hardware. Well, not always what I wanted. Unfortunately, in my city the flea market is held tuesdays. This means I was not able to go there for the past 2 years (job is job and flea market is secondary).
There I found various mobos (starting with 486), soundcards, old Atari type joysticks, even game consoles.
There I found my SNES, SEGA Megadrive 2, a PS1 and a N64.
The gipsy who sold me the N64 knew what he sold, and we haggled for the price. When I noticed N64 had an UK power plug, he laughed and said, "Look at my van"; yea, the van had UK license plates and the steering wheel on the right side.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 17 of 34, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm in the East,and most of the gypsies I bought PC boards they worked exceptionally!I have a ASUS P2L97 for example which works flawlessly.Yet I want to change it because I want to make a XP system and the Pentium 3 1GHz is the best choice.

Reply 18 of 34, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have XP even on my main system, an Athlon II x3. Multi boot with 7, several Linuxes, AROS and FreeDOS.
I am used to boot menus, since I am a longtime Linux fan, even used it on a 486 long time ago.
Had Win98+XP until 2007, when I upgraded my main and the new stuff did not had 98 drivers anymore.
Right now I have a PC XP only, a Sempron 3000+, Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 (nForce2 Ultra), 2 Gb DDR dual channel, GeForce 6600.
The rest have 98+FreeDOS or a Linux.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 19 of 34, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Don't know if the whole Tualatin deal is worth it, depends on what you want to do really.

Other than the OMFGijustshatmyselfcrazy, look a 1.6ghz P3!!!!, really not much point, and not cheap/ easy either.

Hahahahahaha, indeed 🤣