VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Voodoo Rush card almost identical to this one (RAM chips are of a different brand, but otherwise it's the same): http://svga.ks8.ru/Cards/3dfx/Rush%20%20-%20Acorp%20A.jpg

First I tried it on a 430TX-based board with a K6-2/400 on it - it would always make my LCD monitor enter stand-by mode, although I set 60Hz for both 2D and 3D in the driver's advanced desktop properties page; also, I learned how to lower the 2D GPU's clock rate in the driver's .inf file in order to get rid of the artefacts.

Then I moved it to a 440EX-based board with a Celeron 300A on it - this board has the advantage of low PCI slots, so that both the mainboard and the Voodoo Rush can fit in the case without the video card and the FDD/HDD cage competing for space - and performed a clean reinstall of Win98SE.

The minor issue is that the video card's I/O bracket is a few milimiters too long/high, but that's not critical. The major issue is that the monitor would not enter stand-by mode when doing full-screen 3D anymore, but instead the image flickers rapidly, with the 3D rendering somehow overlapping with what looks like artefacted parts of the Windows desktop (it's almost like 3D frames are interlaced with screwed-up 2D frames).

In "pure" 2D there are no artefacts; also, doing 3D (I'm testing with Quake2) in a window looks fine. The flickering happens in full-screen 3D at 640x480 - if I'm trying 800x600 Quake2 crashes with a General Protection Fault in some Glide DLL. The drivers I'm using are the latest reference drivers (3.01.00 for single-planar cards, downloaded from falconfly.de).

I know Rush cards were a pretty unfortunate compromise at that time and I don't intend to use mine for heavy gaming - I'm just trying to determine whether it's faulty or not...

Reply 1 of 3, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried to replace the faulty Glide DLL?

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 2 of 3, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, yesterday I had to reinstall Windows on the system (due to some filesystem corruption), and I took the opportunity to try the previous version of the Voodoo Rush drivers (3.00.01 instead of 3.01.00, with GLIDE2X.DLL version 2.46 instead of 2.48 ). Screen corruption is gone now - the only thing remaining is that I can only play Quake2 in full-screen at 640x480 (attempting 800x600 yields errors in some OpenGL functions)... but I least I know the card is not screwed 😀.

Reply 3 of 3, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Voodoo Rush is based on the Voodoo Graphics chipset and can therefor only do a maximum 3D resolution of 640x480. 800x600 is possible but only if the Z-Buffer is not being used.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info