VOGONS

First post, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I'm putting together a 486 system (so I can play Dune 2 and it won't complain about too much memory and Mechwarrior will run at the proper speed). Having access to a VLB slot, of course I need to get a VLB video card. However, this is completely out of my expertise, so what recommendations would you all have as to what VLB card I should seek out.

Thanks!

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 1 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This topic may answer your question:

Fastest DOS VLB Graphics card ever?

I personally run an ET4000W32/p with 2MB RAM, its a pretty good card for gaming - good performance and compatibility.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 9, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaqie wrote:

I would personally try to find a card based on the s3 vision864 chip, but they are a bit expensive and hard to find.

I think I had one of these. Best card I ever had in my old 486. Diamond Stealth 2MB DRAM, most beautiful colours I've ever seen. Tried to have 2 Stealth VRAM, but they all died soon, so I stayed with the DRAM.

Reply 5 of 9, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your replies. I think I have enough information to make sure I get something decent.

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 6 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had a VLB S3 Trio64 before.

But in my experience, a ET4000 W32/p with 2MB is faster in DOS. I even had a S3 968 w/ VRAM once and liked the ET4000 more.

GUI acceleration has a point of diminishing returns on even a 5x86 160mhz so don't get too caught up on that.

Reply 7 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also it would be useful to know if those cards will work stable at 50MHz. I guess that a VLB card paired with a 50 Mhz CPU (486DX@50MHz) would be faster than the same card paired with a 33 Mhz CPU (I means, a 486DX2@66 MHz)... if it runs (maybe some cheap cards will work only at 25 or 33MHz).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a few VLB cards to choose from and I find that the image quality and colour depth are the most important factors, particularly for a game like Dune2 which doesn't need much grunt anyway.

I use one with an ET4000AX chipset, which is actually the slowest card I own, but it looks absolutely beautiful.

Reply 9 of 9, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The deal with 50MHz would be useful to know, though I'm planning on putting in a DX2-66 myself.

Indeed, the games I would be using this machine for would not be very demanding on it, so I agree that image quality and color depth are the best features to look for. Still have a few options to pick from.

Chris/Van/Sober.