VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Answer: less than 3 seconds. Amazingly short, I think. Completely accidentally, I forgot to clamp down a heatsink on top of a mobile barton XP-M 3000+ rated CPU. The mobo in question doesn't understand its native speed, and so it only powers it up using a "safe and slow" 6x multi, at 133 MHz bus speed. Nevertheless, after only approximately 2.5 - 3 seconds, I heard an odd "click" sound, and so I switched off the power. It was then that I saw the heatsink was not clamped down on to the mobo's CPU clips. It was just resting on top of it. I retested it, but it was lifeless.

I cleaned off all of the thermal paste on this CPU, but could not see any visible sign of damage. And this is a bit weird - I noticed that the Radeon 9800's power cable was a bit pushed out of its socket. I wonder if that was the click sound that I heard? Do these graphics cards somehow eject their power cables, if something is wrong with the system? I doubt it, but I'm just trying to think what that click sound was.

Anyway, no terrible harm done. All the other CPUs I have tested today have worked, and I've got a couple of spare 3000+ CPUs, so it's no problem. Although the list of retro junk I've accidentally wrecked is growing a bit. I make that about 10 items in the last 2.5 years. That's not too bad, I hope.

Reply 1 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I guess that's proof that even the Athlon XP's thermal protection is nearly worthless compared to Intel's of the time.

AXP added an on-die sensor but this must mean that the CPU doesn't pay attention to it. Perhaps only the BIOS monitors it and it reacts too slow for this situation.

Reply 2 of 48, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something similar happened to me a while ago. The heatsink was not properly fitted on the motherboard...although it was clamped, it fell off. Less than 5s after that the capacitors on the mobo around the cpu socket blew and the cpu went up in smoke. That was a XP-2800+ 😀
AFAIK XP series did not have on-die sensor (or perhaps it was disabled or non-functional?), instead the motherboard had a sensor in the middle of the cpu socket so it would touch the cpu from below. Of course it was useless in cases like this 😜

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 3 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Palomino added a sensor. It was the Thunderbird and older chips that didn't have them.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/2975/1

I think that AMD didn't have any sort of thermal protection though. So the sensor was there for reading but there's no mechanism to react to overheating. I know that Socket A boards almost always have BIOS shutdown options though, but they are surely too slow for this situation.

Reply 5 of 48, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah this was pretty well documented at that time, I knew a couple of people who didnt install their heatsink properly and smoked their CPU. Crushing your CPU core when fitting a heatsink was also more common than it should have been.

This video was doing the rounds at the time http://m.tomshardware.com/reviews/hot-spot,365-6.html

The P4 was definitely safer and easier to work on but the netburst architecture was a total dog IMHO 😒 I owned a an athlon xp 1800+ and a 2800+ while my friend went the p4 route, and I was never overly impressed by intels offering at the time.

Last edited by DonutKing on 2011-03-07, 00:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 48, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps RG100 could do a scorchmark test with different Athlon-XPs from 1700+ up to 3200+. A graph of survival time vs. performance rating would make my day.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 7 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Palomino added a sensor.

Didn't work for me 😜

I fried one with heatsink installed properly, but forgot to apply any TIM 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

It's there to read temps, not save the CPU apparently.

Lol, whats the point of a sensor reading the temps if the CPU burns up so quickly that the display doesn't even have time to display anything? 😜 😜 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 48, by Machine_1760

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess it would be useful if your fan was geting gunked up or failed? the heatsink alone may be enough to keep it alive for longer than a few seconds i'd imagine.

When the idea of a temperature sensor was conceived i doubt they ever considered it would have to deal with people as skilled as RG100!!

Reply 15 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I have found a 2 minute youtube video here, containing relevant information to this discussion.

Yup, saw this before. Quite a feat that the Coppermine also survives.
All in all, we'll just have to accept that Athlon (XP) simply can't that this and contemporary Intel's can.

Edit:Not sure if it's related, but the Coppermine does produce a LOT less heat and the P4 (along with dynamic underclocking) has an integrated heatspreader. Could have something to do with it.

Anyone wanna sacri...I mean test a horribly underclocked Socket A CPU? 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 48, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't do that. Even if the CPU ist on death row, the mainboard may go down as well.
A heating of the cpu will increase power drain - caps may blow.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 17 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You know in retrospect for Slot A Athlon vs. Coppermine, I think the enthusiast world was way too thrilled by Athlon. You got a much hotter CPU with really shitty motherboards and performance that was essentially the same or intangibly better.

Tbird was lucky that Willamette sucked hard and was hot too. 😀 Although once Willamette got to 2 GHz I think Athlon had been matched overall. And Northwood is definitely a match for Athlon XP.

But Athlon was a giant improvement over K6 junk, aside from the still awful motherboards. I suppose most of the excitement came from that aspect. Intel actually had competition in every application.

Reply 18 of 48, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I have found a 2 minute youtube video here, containing relevant information to this discussion.

This is the same video I linked to above 🤣

Tbird was lucky that Willamette sucked hard and was hot too. Although once Willamette got to 2 GHz I think Athlon had been matched overall. And Northwood is definitely a match for Athlon XP.

Personally I disagree. It wasn't really until the 800mhz FSB northwood c came out that the p4 really matched the athlon XP. The p4 might have won in benchmarks but the athlon. XP always seemed perceptibly faster to me when actually sitting in front of the PC.

Reply 19 of 48, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

they "won" benchmarks because of that intel compiler heist

the early northwoods weren't very impressive... I had a dell precision 360 with one of the last/latest northwoods made... I think it ran 3ghz, the speeds still weren't that impressive although it was faster than my overclocked xp 2100+

I think the prescotts were more evenly matched to the athlon xp even though they were massively inefficient... super high clock speeds, ran hot, but did a whole lot of no good!