VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I went nuts with the scanner again folks. I've been thinking of scanning more hardware articles from my CGW collection and finally got around to it tonight.

This is a two parter about the 3D cards showing up in 1996. They cover a whole bunch of cards. Exciting times those were, with lots of companies trying their hand at 3D acceleration and most of them not doing so well. Heh.

Among the cards looked at are Mystique, ViRGE (incl VX), Rage II, ET6000 (huh?), Voodoo, Permedia, and Verite V1000.

f9f0b328409589.gif
->Click img to go to the gallery index

I also scanned another Ultimate Gaming PC article they did as well. They put together a beast of a machine for January 1997. A note on the charts though: they got them mixed up a bit and show this monster rig getting beat up. 😀 I'm almost certain that they stated in a later issue that this was an error.

I just love those good 'ol days pricing of PC hardware on the shopping list!
484f9f28407898.gif

I can't believe it's been ~12 years since this stuff was new......

Reply 3 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks alot, swaaye! you rock! 😀

Didn't know people used Pentium Pro rigs for gaming back then 😮

Still amazed by that CPU, the 200mhz 1mb cache version is a real beauty...my P Pro box feels snappier in Windows 98 than my AMD K6-III+ 500mhz

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

Didn't know people used Pentium Pro rigs for gaming back then 😮

They were a great choice, but they were expensive so they didn't become very popular. But if you were mainly into 3D games, a K6 or 6x86 was a painful choice and maybe not worth buying even though they were so cheap. I blew something like $500 I think on a PII-233 around mid '97 because I was mostly interested in 3D shooters and sims. Now THAT is an upgrade when you're coming from a 5x86. 😀

Thankfully these days we have serious competition from AMD and enjoy very nice prices on awesome CPUs.

I have a PPro 200 1MB too. Couldn't resist buying a PPro for retro fun, especially the 1MB version that was $2800 when it was new. Ha. $2800 then, $10 now.

Reply 5 of 6, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Hits The Shores article is from November 1996 issue of CGW, which is also CGW 15th anniversary issue. The issue also contains 150 Best Games of All Times, among others.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should get a document feeder scanner and chop the bindings off every issue so I can feed all of gaming history thru the thing and finish up that CGW PDF archive (I have all the issues not in that archive). Except that would mean the destruction of every mag which is more than slightly disturbing to me....

I definitely don't see myself doing it page by page, especially with these 300 page issues of the mid '90s. It takes hours and hours just to do a single issue that way!

If anyone wants to donate duplicate issues to such a cause, well maybe that would be a option... I dunno. I do have some dupes myself because friends have given me their issues over the years.

I'm going to upload the issues that I have scanned to Imagebam. I have 6 post-#100 issues scanned almost in their entirely.