VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've managed to mess about with a terratec dmx 6fire unit for several hours, and not hear a single note out of the CD player. I even briefly installed a SB next to it, pushed the little 2-wire digital cable in to it from the CD drive, and I hear the CD tunes. 😀 I remove the SB, plug the CD cable back in to the dmx card, and I hear nothing. 🙁

The interesting thing is, that when the SB was installed, using the basic windows mixer application, I could get access to its advanced properties. Once there, I unchecked a box called something like digital play (damn, can't remember precisely what it was now that I unchecked), and the SB was then able to play CD music.

But when I install the dmx control panel software, the above mentioned advanced properties is disabled. I've tried messing about with practically every option inside the dmx control panel, but with no effect.

Also, inside windows control panel's multimedia section, for the CD music tab, I have tried checking and unchecking the digital CD check box option.

(Please note: I have yet to try an analog audio cd cable in any of the above experiments. I was hoping to get digital audio CD working first.)

Also, for the dmx unit, I have one pair of headphones plugged in to the front large headphone jack, and nothing else - no speakers, etc.

Any ideas people? Thanks very much for any help! 😀

Edit: I gave up with it, removed all the hardware (left all drivers and software installed), plugged in another terratec dmx sound card + front box, turned on PC again, PC acted as if nothing had changed <hehe>, and I still have the same problem.

Maybe it's my CD-ROM drive? Or the cable?

😕

Edit 2: Solved! I used win amp 2.95, and in the preferences section -> plugins -> cd section, I ticked the box labelled: "enable digital audio extraction when possible". I could then hear the audio CD. I have no idea what all this means however. If anyone could explain why this now works, I'd be very interested to hear it. I mean, it's strange that I wasn't able to use the terratec dmx audio control panel software to get this working, but I had to use win amp instead.

Reply 2 of 2, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the explanation! So I guess I didn't solve this problem after all. Curious. Oh well, I removed the digital audio cable, and replaced it with an analog one, and now I hear CD audio.