VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got a similar card today (~800KB 1600x1200 photo attached) - hopefully I'll find the time to test it within a couple of days.

Attachments

• Filename
    8bit_sound.jpg
    File size
    776.89 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21 of 26, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the puzzle is complete : the controller is an old Intel - Harris chip. That figures.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 22 of 26, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen very similar chips on old Aztech and Creative cards, it was a very common controller back in the days.

And now we know where the noise comes from: The LM380 mini amplifiers are known for their bad, I mean really bad, signal to noise ratio.

Still a mysterious card with its two OPL2 clones. If one of you two want to trade the card, let me know. I would love to put it into a testing rig.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 23 of 26, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jolaes76 wrote:

I only have a blurry photo (attached) and would like to know what this can be... do the two big oblong shaped chips look YM3812 (OPL2) to you ? If not, what else...?

All educated guesses are welcome 😀

FYI, I came across this card, and have identified it as a Sound Zapper:

http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/i/U-Z/51347.htm

It has 11-voice and 22-voice FM synth modes which sound like OPL clones to me. However, when using 22-voice mode (stereo jumper), it sounds wrong/ noisy for Adlib games, but 11-voice (mono jumper) sounds better than my SB Pro 2 for a few Adlib games that I've tried. I'll have to do more testing later for Sound Blaster games and 22-voice mode. It's DSP is being reported as version 3.22; not sure if this is accurate or not.

Anyone have anymore info on this card? Were there DSP 3.22 cards from Creative Labs? If not, what was the highest 3.xx DSP released?

Reply 26 of 26, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread has all information about the sound card that can be known without having the hardware at hand to perform experiments. "GS" might be "gameport select" and in that case will enable/disable the integrated game port. It definitely is not related to the Roland GS MIDI Standard. The card seems to have two OPL2 clones, so there will be some way to get OPL stereo sound from the card. As no one was successful up to now to get stereo sound, the way to access the individual OPL2 chips may be proprietary to this OEM design.

The standard SB Pro 1.0 behavious would be: OPL2 instructions sent to the AdLib port 388h or the SoundBlaster OPL2 port 228h/229h will be processed by both OPL2 chips the same way, and thus produce monaureal sound. On the other hand, OPL2 instructions sent to 220h/221h will only be processed by the "left" OPL2, and OPL2 instruction sent to 222h/223h will only be processed by the "right" OPL2. With the jumper set to mono, you might be able to get twice the voice count in mono sound - if you manage to access the two OPL2 chips individually.

Using the card as SB 1.0 in games should work fine.