VOGONS

First post, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I recently got this HP D530 SFF pc. After replacing 4 1000uf caps and checking the psu, i decided to turn it on. Was greeted with an screeching noise when turned on from mobo and 3 red LED blinks, followed by 4 red LED blinks, then 4 blinks forever. No beeps. Any ideas?
EDIT: I forgot to add that the board is still somewhat covered in fire extinguisher dust. Might that be the issue?

Socket 478 totally sucks.

Reply 3 of 4, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No experience with that model, but the "screeching noise" is some feature of the way too many under the name of "HP e-diagtools", its point is that you could call HP, stick your phone up to the PC Speaker, and have their software decode a more detailed error 😀

You should be able to force that sound on a working system by turning it on and hooding the power button - which AFAIK is the only legitimate reason to have that followed by no conventional beeps at all 😀 🙁

For whatever it's worth my VL400 does have a bicolor power LED, but the only thing the red is used for is to make yellow when you turn it on, it never becomes red or yellow at other times, including when making any sort of error sound…

Reply 4 of 4, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2024-05-15, 11:46:

No experience with that model, but the "screeching noise" is some feature of the way too many under the name of "HP e-diagtools", its point is that you could call HP, stick your phone up to the PC Speaker, and have their software decode a more detailed error 😀

Problem is the "screeching noise" is coming form the mainboard directly around the VRM arena, not from buzzer and speaker.

Socket 478 totally sucks.