VOGONS

First post, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first person or company to make a modern 486 laptop is going to make a killing.

It should have the following specs:
CPU: AM5x86 P75 133MHz
Video: Any VLB with 1mb vram
Cache: 512kb L2
Screen: No bigger than 12" 4:3 No bezels or bezels with stereo speakers.
Sound: ESS Audiodrive
Storage: External CF, Slim CD-ROM. Slim Floppy.
Battery: 10+ hours

Nice to have:
Internal Gotek

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

Last edited by supercordo on 2024-04-28, 20:44. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-04-28, 20:01:

I like the idea. But why VLB graphics card? The DX4 100 / 133 Mhz PC's often came with a PCI bus.

I guess it really depends on what chipset is available. If one that has pci is more available then by all means use a pci video chip.

Reply 4 of 8, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-04-28, 20:13:

I'd say that for the era you have in mind you'd also want a CD drive of some kind. Ideally emulated but with redbook audio... but afaik no such thing exists yet (does it?).

Good point. Added slim CDrom and floppy.

Reply 7 of 8, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somebody could probably build this running 86box around a Raspberry Pi-type thing... (ignoring the fact that I don't think 86box supports ARM on platforms other than Mac...)

Actually building this out of real hardware, though... the price tag would be insane... which is unfortunate because a retro DOS laptop at a reasonable price would be cool.

Reply 8 of 8, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2024-04-29, 00:18:

Somebody could probably build this running 86box around a Raspberry Pi-type thing... (ignoring the fact that I don't think 86box supports ARM on platforms other than Mac...)

Actually building this out of real hardware, though... the price tag would be insane... which is unfortunate because a retro DOS laptop at a reasonable price would be cool.

It doesnt have to be expensive. Someone could create the kit/PCB and the buyer would have to provide and attach the main chips like CPU, chipset, audio chip, and Ram.