VOGONS

First post, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Below are images of the board, had acquired this some time ago, and i got otw soon a AT Powersupply so i can finally power it on n test. i couldnt find it on The Retro Web based on just the chipset.

theres 6 16-bit ISA slots , headers for (clearly) 2 Serial COM ports, looks to have an onboard headers for Floppy and one IDE Channel. theres a header for LPT, and an unclear 10-pin header next to a dip switch.

the WDC chipset on this indicates possibly built in vga (WDC WD90c31A-LR).

would love to know what this isand get it into a good case and turn this into a great Point n click game machine.

PXL_20240113_195823612.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240113_195823612.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20240113_195827086.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240113_195827086.jpg
File size
1.96 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20240113_195836873.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240113_195836873.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20240113_195843357.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240113_195843357.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it has built in WD Paradise VGA, the 10pin header is most likely for a db15 vga port. The dip switches most likely enable/disable/set the hd, floppy, com, lpt. There are jumpers near cpu for type.
Have only seen a similar Unisys and AST boards but the yellow sticker tells me it is something else.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2024-01-13, 22:10:

Indeed. That sticker screams "Intel OEM".

But looking on the Retro Web it's a Dell board (not ruling out made by Intel):
this one

Nice find ! So the switches are just for video, wonder if the BIOS has anything for setting the ports.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-01-13, 22:36:
dionb wrote on 2024-01-13, 22:10:

Indeed. That sticker screams "Intel OEM".

But looking on the Retro Web it's a Dell board (not ruling out made by Intel):
this one

Nice find ! So the switches are just for video, wonder if the BIOS has anything for setting the ports.

theres no tracking info on the psu adapter so it can arrive as late as the 26th, when the adapter arrives i'll have a clean idea of what this could be/has

Reply 5 of 7, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the adapter came in yesterday, the board lives, has 8mb ram , added another 8mb for 16total!

PXL_20240117_130337700.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240117_130337700.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20240117_130250074.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240117_130250074.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's what's in the bios
https://youtu.be/0KSCmfPVy8w?si=TmbXbN6oO9V5LbQf

Reply 6 of 7, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

while it's just a Bump, (im getting ready to get back to bed atm.) i have struggled an scowered for info on just WHAT dell board this is, and the closest documentation i have found suggest that J1 right next to the AT Keyboard connector is indeed for a mouse, its not for a PS/2 Mouse but a Bus Mouse. i believe i had seen something for a Bus mouse at the one place i've been sourcing some of my strange finds, sadly he's not open on the weekends so i'll haveto check that out tomorrow (1/22)

i have tried... Different Serial Headers and im getting Nothing in regards to two Serial mice i have to be fount by CTMouse or Windows 3.1, have only with a Goldstar Prime 2 MultiIO card (even w/ THAT i dont have a jumper config for nor can i find one... its one that seems to have a condensed jumper block for "J1~J5" thats two pin rows wide. not 3 like most i find. (Bears the Goldstar Prime 2 9243 IC. and an identifiable Model of goldstar prime 2 aio-200g) for Serial connection for a mouse. going to try in the morning w/ a full version of AMISetup to look for options to enable/disable the onboard Serial ports, though would anyone have suggestions on an "cheap " Multi IO Card on ebay for this?

as well i've had trouble getting it to install Windows 3.1 from CD (at random attempts after i some how broke it once allready, it claims a random file durring the first part of setup cant be accessed or created before its handed over to that limited Windows enviroment off Disk 2~ 6)

Reply 7 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CaelThunderwing wrote on 2024-01-21, 11:01:

while it's just a Bump, (im getting ready to get back to bed atm.) i have struggled an scowered for info on just WHAT dell board this is, and the closest documentation i have found suggest that J1 right next to the AT Keyboard connector is indeed for a mouse, its not for a PS/2 Mouse but a Bus Mouse. i believe i had seen something for a Bus mouse at the one place i've been sourcing some of my strange finds, sadly he's not open on the weekends so i'll haveto check that out tomorrow (1/22)

i have tried... Different Serial Headers and im getting Nothing in regards to two Serial mice i have to be fount by CTMouse or Windows 3.1, have only with a Goldstar Prime 2 MultiIO card (even w/ THAT i dont have a jumper config for nor can i find one... its one that seems to have a condensed jumper block for "J1~J5" thats two pin rows wide. not 3 like most i find. (Bears the Goldstar Prime 2 9243 IC. and an identifiable Model of goldstar prime 2 aio-200g) for Serial connection for a mouse. going to try in the morning w/ a full version of AMISetup to look for options to enable/disable the onboard Serial ports, though would anyone have suggestions on an "cheap " Multi IO Card on ebay for this?

as well i've had trouble getting it to install Windows 3.1 from CD (at random attempts after i some how broke it once allready, it claims a random file durring the first part of setup cant be accessed or created before its handed over to that limited Windows enviroment off Disk 2~ 6)

Solely on the BIOS string (your pic & TRW info) it could be this one - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dell-s … 6-xx-mdt-rev.-2 - though it and the one linked earlier could easily be much the same.

On that basis I checked the old Dell archive for both boards and they share the same pinouts for both mouse & serial ports (pictured)

Dell IO.jpg
Filename
Dell IO.jpg
File size
68.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception