VOGONS

First post, by gab486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a SB16 CT2230 and MS-DOS 6.22, and after a while (in some games - seconds, in some games - some minutes, maybe half an hour) digitized sounds just disappear. Music works fine always.
Almost the identical issue posted here: Re: Sound Blaster 16 issue

If digitized sounds craps out, I just launch "C:\SB16\diagnose.exe /S", then it will work again for some time (seconds, minutes...). If I run diagnose without "/S", no problems found at all.
Or, if I work with UniSound, just launch the executable, then it will be OK again for a short time.
If I do not launch either of them after sound disappears, the system will hang if I try something that uses digitized sounds.
Maybe it is not hardware issue - as it works after a software "reload".

I'm using the default settings:
address = 220h
IRQ = 5
DMA = 1
(I have other issues if I set high DMA to other value than low, so it is set to use low DMA)

My specs:
I486SV2G Motherboard, with very few BIOS options regarding IRQ and DMA (DMA Activities: Enable, IRQ Activities: Enabled, IRQ 1 ... 15: all enabled)
Cx486DX2-S CPU @ 66Mhz
16Mb RAM - note: Memory hole at 16MB is set to 4MB as some games won't work with 16Mb - so they do with 12Mb usable.

My weak tip - based on issues with some programs with 16Mb - would be to remove 8Mb RAM from the system, but not sure if it would change anything with my SB issues.

Reply 1 of 1, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First I'd make sure your card works correctly. Remove all other cards, free up your resources or test the card with a different motherboard just to be sure that the card is ok.

gab486 wrote on 2024-01-02, 19:51:

DMA = 1
(I have other issues if I set high DMA to other value than low, so it is set to use low DMA)

That's low DMA, some games require high DMA to work properly. If you're having trouble to initialize your card correctly, that could be a sign that other devices are using the same resources.

The typical BLASTER variable for a SB16 looks like this:

BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6