VOGONS

First post, by marcushg85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I came across this weird unknown computer dated 1987. At first power on one of the tantalums set on fire so, quickly turned it off and replaced all of them. Computer powers on and gives a beautiful beep, but nothing else. Tried plugging mce2vga adapter but couldn't display any image.
Motherboard is labelled 611-245C, the most similar motherboard I've found is the hewitt rand XT IV which is labelled 611-270 so it might be an earlier one, at least they have different video adapters...
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/hewitt … iv-v40#expchips

I've also found a picture of the Hewitt Rand Xt and it is the same case without the ACT logo
https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Hewitt_Rand_V40# … /File:Hrv40.jpg

I've dumped the two Roms, one is a phoenix based bios ver. 2.52A and the other is labeled Char Vers 1.0N.
Machine has been upgraded to 640k ram on board, has a 360k 5.25 floppy and a hdd controler hc-100 with a hh-825 microscience hdd
It has integrated video with a switch that chooses color/mono, tried an 8bit compatible isa vga card (trident) but looks like integrated video should be disabled. Unfortunately the motherboard has so many dip switches with totally unknown functionality.
I'd like to find any info related to it to see if I can get it working! I don't even know if it is an IBM compatible or not!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by marcushg85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll add the bios files just in case...
As an update, plugged an XT keyboard and the floppy and everything sounds as it was working, beeps, tries to read from floppy, etc... and if I press CtrlAltDel it "reboots"...
the mce2vga adapter finds signal when in monochrome but shows a black screen...

Attachments

Reply 2 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No info found yet. Sort of makes sense the similarity, Hewitt Rand was Canadian based and ACT (Advanced Computer Technology ) was UK based back in 80's and 90's iirc and probably collaborated on a few things.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by marcushg85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's so strange, because looking at the Wikipedia, ACT became Apricot in 1985... And this machine is dated 1987...
Anyways... If anyone has any idea of what the dip switches might be...
I've tried a few combinations and the first jumpers make it not even beep... The last ones don't seem to affect... But it looks like the vga card I tried to install isn't detected
Another update... Somehow similar motherboards are listed as goldstar. Goldstar gs100 (earlier version with 8088) and xt-iv 611-270 later revision

Reply 4 of 6, by TimoAcorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marcushg85 wrote on 2023-06-11, 10:45:

motherboard has so many dip switches with totally unknown functionality.
I'd like to find any info related to it to see if I can get it working! I don't even know if it is an IBM compatible or not!

I not sure if this question is still actual but the jumpers 1-8 are the same for a number off XT computers :

For example :
-VTech - Laser Turbo XT - Technical Reference Manual
- ITT XTRA - Technical Reference - January 1985

Reply 5 of 6, by geiger9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marcushg85 wrote on 2023-06-11, 19:36:
It's so strange, because looking at the Wikipedia, ACT became Apricot in 1985... And this machine is dated 1987... Anyways... I […]
Show full quote

It's so strange, because looking at the Wikipedia, ACT became Apricot in 1985... And this machine is dated 1987...
Anyways... If anyone has any idea of what the dip switches might be...
I've tried a few combinations and the first jumpers make it not even beep... The last ones don't seem to affect... But it looks like the vga card I tried to install isn't detected
Another update... Somehow similar motherboards are listed as goldstar. Goldstar gs100 (earlier version with 8088) and xt-iv 611-270 later revision

I hope this is not too old to respond to but here goes.

I'm the guy who took that picture of the Hewitt Rand machine. I discovered that dip switch 9 was for enabling and disabling the onboard video. I don't know for sure but I am fairly certain that switches 10-12 are for enabling/disabling the onboard serial ports and parallel port.

Edit: Oh I see now that yours only has one serial port. Mine has two serial and one parallel so that's what I figured 10-12 on my dip switch was for.

Reply 6 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This model was made by GoldStar I believe and many manufacturers slapped their own badges on it. I have one that is an Apco, the most widespread/known version appears to be the Packard Bell edition the PBVX88 or just VX88
Motherboard reference page https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/packard-bell-pbvx88

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.