MSI 9105 only one cpu recognised

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 64, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-03, 08:43:
Nothing, Re flashed still same problem. Changed mps to 1.1 same problem. Went thru the bios again, no option to change activity […]
Show full quote

Nothing,
Re flashed still same problem.
Changed mps to 1.1 same problem.
Went thru the bios again, no option to change activity on cpu2.

I didn't have a lot of hope for that. I agree with you: It sounds a lot like the board has some kind of defect.😕

Reply 42 of 64, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-03, 10:05:

What is cuprum bridge?

Sorry, its "copper spokes" of thermal relief of PCB
Thermal-Relief-Pad.png

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 43 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-04-03, 13:32:
Sorry, its "copper spokes" of thermal relief of PCB https://www.protoexpress.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Thermal-Relief- […]
Show full quote
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-03, 10:05:

What is cuprum bridge?

Sorry, its "copper spokes" of thermal relief of PCB
Thermal-Relief-Pad.png

My friend that is working on the card told me that there are two or three SMD capacitors damaged/scathed on the back of the Northbridge.
I have no clue of the schematic on the 266T, could be this one the cause?
Anyone knows the value of those SMDs?

Nexxen wrote on 2023-04-03, 11:41:

Gently pushing down components, like NB, SB?
Have you checked V to cpu, maybe not enough to power it up.

Yes did that, the vcore delivery seems fine

Attachments

Reply 44 of 64, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those are ceramic caps and judging by the size of the pads they are connected to (you can also check if one of the pads is connected to ground), those are filtering/decoupling caps, so unless they are shorted, the system should be able to run even without them. I don't think those are the problem.

Reply 45 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-04-09, 11:03:

Those are ceramic caps and judging by the size of the pads they are connected to (you can also check if one of the pads is connected to ground), those are filtering/decoupling caps, so unless they are shorted, the system should be able to run even without them. I don't think those are the problem.

Thanks, any advice on where the problem could be?

Reply 46 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2023-04-03, 01:15:
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 19:22:

And [Machine] field seems to me that is identical with one or two cpu installed.

I just noticed this and it makes no sense at all. When one CPU is removed the bit-6 in the status byte should change, it did on my TYAN S2466 Tiger MPX and AFAIK does on the 19 other multi-socket systems own.

Would it be sensible for you to post the two [Machine] screen shots so I can see if I can spot a difference?

Two CPUs
download/file.php?id=161379&mode=view

One CPU
download/file.php?id=161383&mode=view

I noticed that with my VP6 I see the same thing in bios, with one cpu only.
The cpu temperature is there even if there is no cpu at all.
Maybe the socket is simply not working, how to troubleshoot this, I do not know. Maybe traces between the sockets??

Reply 47 of 64, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-09, 18:15:
Two CPUshttps://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=161379 One CPUhttps://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=161383 […]
Show full quote

Two CPUsfile.php?id=161379
One CPUfile.php?id=161383

Maybe the socket is simply not working, how to troubleshoot this, I do not know. Maybe traces between the sockets??

Most strange, with only one CPU installed the BIOS is setting up the SMBIOS/DMI data to say both CPUs installed , I feel this may be a BIOS bug 🙁

It's a shame you used 5.70 Beta-03 rather than Beta-04 as Bets-04 should have reported such as [_]Disabled by BIOS Setup (2) which I suspect with both one + two CPUs would be the situation for CPU-1.

I feel that noting can be deduced from the SMBIOS/DMI data that the SIV [Machine] panel reports.

What might provide some insight is a SIV 5.70 Beta-04 [Machine] screen shot from a system with two working CPUs. I looked in my selection of SIV save files, but don't have one.

To take screen shots like the ones I posted, rather then photos, either press PrtSc or Alt+PrtSc then paste it into such as mspaint and save as .PNG.

Reply 48 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2023-04-09, 18:52:
Most strange, with only one CPU installed the BIOS is setting up the SMBIOS/DMI data to say both CPUs installed , I feel this ma […]
Show full quote
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-09, 18:15:
Two CPUshttps://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=161379 One CPUhttps://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=161383 […]
Show full quote

Two CPUsfile.php?id=161379
One CPUfile.php?id=161383

Most strange, with only one CPU installed the BIOS is setting up the SMBIOS/DMI data to say both CPUs installed , I feel this may be a BIOS bug 🙁

It's a shame you used 5.70 Beta-03 rather than Beta-04 as Bets-04 should have reported such as [_]Disabled by BIOS Setup (2) which I suspect with both one + two CPUs would be the situation for CPU-1.

I feel that noting can be deduced from the SMBIOS/DMI data that the SIV [Machine] panel reports.

What might provide some insight is a SIV 5.70 Beta-04 [Machine] screen shot from a system with two working CPUs. I looked in my selection of SIV save files, but don't have one.

To take screen shots like the ones I posted, rather then photos, either press PrtSc or Alt+PrtSc then paste it into such as mspaint and save as .PNG.

Problem is, I do not have a working system with two CPUs and the same chipset.
I hope my friend will spot the electrical damage, but please feel free to throw your suggestions on the table to save this baby.

Last edited by Mamba on 2023-04-10, 13:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 64, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-10, 13:00:

Problem is, I o not have a working system with two CPUs and the same chipset.

Yes, I assumed this was the case and hoping that someone with one will see what I said and post the SIV32X V5.70 Beta-04 [Machine] screen shot from their system.

Reply 52 of 64, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-25, 19:40:
Nexxen wrote on 2023-04-25, 19:30:

Is there any ICS chip?

What you mean?

A chip with ICS written on it, or 9LP505 (if generic).

Edit: I checked a pic online, there's a chip close to the FDD connector and one bottom left of cpu 2.
Ok, found a better pic, looks like there are 2 ICS, one close to cpu2 being something else but still post what's written on it to rule out some printer/serial controller.

Last edited by Nexxen on 2023-04-25, 20:03. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 54 of 64, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-25, 20:03:

Yes sure, how can it helps on troubleshoot the board?

It should control cpu pull-up, if it doesn't work or some cap/res is dead it may not activate other signals and only Vcc to cpu but no data communication.
Being a huge guess I may be saying something wrong but no harm done for a few minutes of work 😉

Btw, it's for P4 but the equivalent chip should be there for the P-III.

Reply 55 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2023-04-25, 20:06:

It should control cpu pull-up, if it doesn't work or some cap/res is dead it may not activate other signals and only Vcc to cpu but no data communication.
Being a huge guess I may be saying something wrong but no harm done for a few minutes of work 😉

Apart from caps, that I do not see damaged and actually some have been replaced, how can I test it?

Reply 56 of 64, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-25, 20:09:

Apart from caps, that I do not see damaged and actually some have been replaced, how can I test it?

No idea, just want to know if it is present and what's the actual model on your m/b.
After that it's checking the datasheet and find the lines the go to the cpu that's not working.
Being there 2 sockets you can check cpu2 against cpu1.

Elbow grease as always. 🤣 Retro fun!

Reply 58 of 64, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-25, 20:09:

News?