VOGONS

First post, by Dark-Star88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I inherited this old monster from my father and we've pulled it out on occasion to laugh at how primitive computers used to be or goof around a bit with the BASIC version of Star Trek, which some other old hands around here may remember being passed around in the type-in book "Basic Computer Games".

Unfortunately life circumstances are requiring me to make some hard choices. So I'm trying to find out how much (if anything) it might be worth to the right buyer.

What i know so far:
[*]It has two 5.25 floppy disk drives, both of which function.
[*]One disk has Dos 3.3 and the other has a handful of games
[*]There are several expansion cards; at least one of them must be a memory expansion because the POST check reports 640KB RAM, and another is clearly labeled "ASYNC COMMUNICATIONS"
[*]It has the IBM Color/Graphics Monitor Adapter (CGA) card fitted.

What I could add for a buyer:
[*]A very rare "dual drive" that has a 3.5 and a 5.25 floppy in one bay space. It is known to be functional.

https://minuszerodegrees.net/ was extremely helpful in finding what I have so far.

There are very few seller's listings for this computer, from 500 to 2000 on Ebay. I'm unsure of what price should shoot for.

Reply 2 of 8, by Dark-Star88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maestro wrote on 2022-12-16, 04:31:

*Dun dun dun* - supposed to be ominous music

Actually, "Don't ever forget" is playing on MINDSONG.EXE (yes I named my mental soundtrack) as I look at this beige behemoth.

Don't forget how you learned to type quickly - the better to copy more games from the book.
Or the horrible "text adventure" you made, an excuse to write the most batshit insane things to happen to the player.
And especially don't ever forget Bearface.bas - that you played on daddy's lap right after he made the game, just for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MnhlhoYQ7Y

Reply 3 of 8, by Dark-Star88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgot what a b!tch this old box was to open up in the first place.

Cards ID'd:

• IBM Printer Adapter
    IBM Asynchronous Communications Adapter
    IBM 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter
    AST Research SPK-064 ISA Card Memory Board SixPakPlus 201177

Manual here: https://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/AST_SixP … sers_Manual.pdf

There must be 256KB RAM on the XT motherboard itself and the maximum of 384KB on the SixPak

Attachments

Reply 5 of 8, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dark-Star88 wrote on 2023-01-05, 17:28:

edit by Dominus: link removed

Had an offer for 2K that ghosted...we'll see if there's any legit buyers.

I am sorry, but promoting your ebay sellings is not allowed in this forum.

Last edited by Dominus on 2023-01-07, 13:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-01-05, 20:33:
Dark-Star88 wrote on 2023-01-05, 17:28:

edit by Dominus: link removed

Had an offer for 2K that ghosted...we'll see if there's any legit buyers.

I am sorry, but promoting your ebay sellings is not allowed in this forum.

Exactamundo ! No sales allowed "7. You won’t use VOGONS to promote auctions."
However members can post hints or links to items if another member is looking for a specific item or reference (per my memory from a Mod or two) but not to an item that a member has for sale....
Also: "2. You accept that VOGONS may edit or remove your submissions for any reason." 😁

Last edited by Dominus on 2023-01-07, 13:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 8, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is one of my favourite rules on Vogons because it affects the community atmosphere in such a positive way. Vogons is a system and removing elements from the system produces less chaos, and humans like less complex systems since they're simpler to understand, more comfortable to explore and easier to control or enhance. Principles like these can also be applied to designing secure IT systems with less surprises which helps Uncle Scrooge to sleep easier at night.

But the rule really shines where it serves another purpose. Now we've all been privileged to witness first hand a demonstration of just how shallow it can get on an online forum, how someone might waltz into a community, verbose and cocky, thinking that veiled mountebankery would be an acceptable approach to a community of strangers. The rule's purpose is in the lesson it manifests about illusion, not only as a reminder for us to keep vigilante of mountebanks and other guttersnipes, looking for their trappings revealed in the window of their actions, but also to know who our comrades are and to love them irredeemably as brother or sister. Abstractly, for me, this rule says: Since we're only here once, and then it's all black, we need to do this right the first time. Bravo, Vogons. Bravo.

Please let me know via PM if I've offended anyone.

hicks.jpg
Filename
hicks.jpg
File size
41.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 8 of 8, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maestro wrote on 2023-01-07, 04:55:
This is one of my favourite rules on Vogons because it affects the community atmosphere in such a positive way. Vogons is a syst […]
Show full quote

This is one of my favourite rules on Vogons because it affects the community atmosphere in such a positive way. Vogons is a system and removing elements from the system produces less chaos, and humans like less complex systems since they're simpler to understand, more comfortable to explore and easier to control or enhance. Principles like these can also be applied to designing secure IT systems with less surprises which helps Uncle Scrooge to sleep easier at night.

But the rule really shines where it serves another purpose. Now we've all been privileged to witness first hand a demonstration of just how shallow it can get on an online forum, how someone might waltz into a community, verbose and cocky, thinking that veiled mountebankery would be an acceptable approach to a community of strangers. The rule's purpose is in the lesson it manifests about illusion, not only as a reminder for us to keep vigilante of mountebanks and other guttersnipes, looking for their trappings revealed in the window of their actions, but also to know who our comrades are and to love them irredeemably as brother or sister. Abstractly, for me, this rule says: Since we're only here once, and then it's all black, we need to do this right the first time. Bravo, Vogons. Bravo.

Please let me know via PM if I've offended anyone.
hicks.jpg

Open your eyes after the fade to black transition for a nice additive one, i keep telling people but they never listen to my afterlife tuts ¬_¬

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55