VOGONS

First post, by bluenose4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. Before I start I'l just say that I've done a pretty thorough trawl of the net, and this forum, trying to find a solution to my problem. I've come across a couple of people having the same sort of issue as I am, but haven't found anyone who's remedied it yet, so any help would be appreciated.

Right, I've got the 8 floppy disk version of SC, and I'm trying to run it on DOSBox 0.63. I've used D-Fend as well and altered the EMS/XMS in config as suggested on a number of forums which finally got the game installing. Unfortunately, now when the installation reaches the very end of disk 8 (ie, all that is left to do is create 'SC.exe', DOSBox hangs on a blank, black screen. I've read on a forum somewhere that this is because the installation is trying to use an area of memory which is already in use, but can't find a solution to my problem. I'm wondering if by copying the file 'SC.exe' into the folder the game will run? Could somebody possibly send me a copy of that one file to try it out?

This my favourite game ever and I'd love to be able to play it again!

System spec:

P4 2.66GHz
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Graphics
Windows XP
running game in DOSBox 0.63

Cheers

Reply 1 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know anything about this game or this problem, but here are a couple of ideas to try:
- Copy SC.exe like you suggested (couldn't hurt to try)
- Use a different core= setting in your dosbox.conf (e.g. dynamic or full instead of normal)
- Use a CVS build of DOSBox, which will have many fixes, improvments, and added features since 0.63 was released (see the development forum for more info)

Reply 3 of 8, by bluenose4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers guys. I've tried the downloading CVS but I'm still stuck with the same problem. Installation reaches the last part of disk 8, then hangs DOSBox. I would have copied SC.exe if I had a copy of the file, only it isn't on the floppy disks. I'm guessing it is created through the installation program?

Reply 6 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Works fine here. Be sure to create a new dosbox.conf when
using CVS-compiles ("config -writeconf dosbox.conf").
Copy all disks into one directory, mount that directory
as a: ("mount a d:\scinst") and install the game from a:

Copying sc.exe from another installation won't help as
several other files are missing as well (terrain data
which is generated during the installation).

hth

Reply 7 of 8, by Marauder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you guys able to calibrate joystick with the game? I've had calibration error with Strike Commander and Privateer since I first tried them with Dosbox. Oh, and my joystick works just fine with Tornado, USNF, F-14 Fleet Defender...