Dark Forces

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

narech:

Yeah, both ChieSawaguchi and myself got DF to run, but it's a bit slow... Unfortunately I'm not sure that much can be done to improve the situation.

I remember having occasional crashes with DF+DOS32A. Didn't you say that you were working on some DOS32A fixes for Dark Forces that aren't yet available? Or did you release a new version with those fixes?

Reply 21 of 30, by narech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

did you release a new version with those fixes?

There's a beta at dos32a.sf.net. It's mostly for devs (merged source/bunary distro), but end-users can ignore sources and use the prebuilt exec.

Reply 22 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chie, if you have a 3.5GHz P4 you should be ok.... I recommend you use Gulikoza's DOSBOX builds. He adds some great stuff, and you get the latest CVS code. I use his pixel shaders to improve image quality (and speed over the regular image processing things like HQ2X). You need a beefy video card for this though, DX9 compliant.

I have the cycles set at 15000 by default, but I've found with my Pentium M 2.13Ghz that I can go a lot higher (about 30000). And this is with MIDI on and running thru Window's Roland GS software wavetable doodad...I'm also just using DOS4GW as DOS32A is unhappy with this game 😀

Here's the dosbox.conf file I use for DF (I pruned out the unchanged stuff and comments):

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1440x900
output=direct3d
hwscale=1.0
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
pixelshader=bilinear.fx

[dosbox]
frameskip=1
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x
hq2x_threshold_adaptive=75
hq2x_threshold=0

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=15000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
timesynched=false
showcycles=false

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
mt32rate=22050
config=

[sblaster]
type=sbpro2
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=false
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
Show last 17 lines
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=false

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true

[autoexec]
mount c d:\Games\Emu\DOSBOX\games
c:
cd dark

Reply 23 of 30, by ChieSawaguchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
narech wrote:

AFAIK DF works with DOSBox CVS + dos32a beta and SoundBlaster emulation (GUS emu randomly crashes the game, no idea why). DOS4GW seems to work just as well.

What is AFAIK? and Dos Box CVS?? I have dosbox 0.69 something

If theres anything more important than my ego, I want it caught and shot right now!

Reply 25 of 30, by ConfusedWIsdom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Help!
I recently installed DosBox and am trying to run Dark Forces.
I am having many problems, though.
For one, I cannot install the game on DosBox or XP.
On XP, a Command Prompt window pops up for a split-second before disappearing.
When I go to my CDRom drive (X:\) and execute the install program (in DosBox), the game tells me that there is a problem creating a new directory. (I already mounted my D: drive that I use to put games on, and my C: drive, just to be safe.)
I also tried copying all of the files (except the demo files) off of the disc into a seperate directory on my hard drive and installing it from there. Now the installer won't run (It tells me that it has a problem reading jedi.cfg), nor will the game itself when run from the 'Dark' file.
When I run the game from the CD without installing it, there is no sound, the screen is too big (on fullscreen mode), and it laaagggsssss...
Oh, and I run on XP, if that helps.
Any help is appreciated!

Statement A: Statement B is True
Statement B: Statement A is False

Reply 27 of 30, by glyn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there I'm usually quite good technically but am really new to dosbox and am having exactly the same problem as ConfusedWisdom with Dark Forces. I just can't get the installer to work. I've had a look at the development forum and to be honest got a little confused. Any kind soul out there willing to give me some advice on which cvs-compile is likely to work?

I'm running Windows XP and have DEFINITELY mounted the cd-rom properly!

Reply 28 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the convenience of those following this thread, the CVS info thread can be found here: DOSBox SVN Builds

ykhwong's, gulikoza's, and possibly the AEP build should all work fine. The AEP build doesn't have any experimental patches but is updated infrequently.

Reply 30 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the AEP build hasn't been updated for a long time. Gulikoza's and ykhwong's are the only builds I know of that are being regularly updated these days, which is disappointing because I'd like to be able to refer people to a plain vanilla CVS build. Gulikoza's and ykhwong's contain lots of cool extra patches, but this can make it harder to tell whether a problem is the result of DOSBox code or patch code.