VOGONS

Dark Forces

Topic actions

First post, by ChieSawaguchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've already installed dark forces onto my computer, but I cannot get it to work in DOSbox. When I tell it to run dark.exe it says it can't access the CD, I tell it what drive I have the CD in and it just gives me the accsess error.

If theres anything more important than my ego, I want it caught and shot right now!

Reply 1 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have to use advanced CD-related parameters for the 'mount' command. Check the DOSBox readme for more info.

EDIT: Welcome to VOGONS, by the way 😀

Reply 2 of 30, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe she (assuming she is female) just forgot to mount a cd-drive.

mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -label darkforces

This is just an example.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 30, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I did a lot of work on that game recently. The installer now works.
what you have to do:
your cdrom:
mount d "your cdrom" -t cdrom
mount c c:\
and then start the game

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 30, by ChieSawaguchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe she (assuming she is female) just forgot to mount a cd-drive.

mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -label darkforces

This is just an example.

Thanks 😁 Yes, I am female

If theres anything more important than my ego, I want it caught and shot right now!

Reply 5 of 30, by ChieSawaguchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Urgh 🙁 Now it's running to slow... Is there a way to speed it up?

Reply 6 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, make sure your core=dynamic in dosbox.conf, and then turn the cycles up as far as you can before things start slowing down or getting choppy again (ctrl+f11/ctrl+f12).

Also, you should know that the game runs kind of slow and unstable for me on my Athlon XP 3200+, so don't expect too much. The author of DOS32A is working on a new version that works better with Dark Forces though, so maybe in a while things will be better.

Reply 7 of 30, by ChieSawaguchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Yes, make sure your core=dynamic in dosbox.conf, and then turn the cycles up as far as you can before things start slowing down or getting choppy again (ctrl+f11/ctrl+f12).

Also, you should know that the game runs kind of slow and unstable for me on my Athlon XP 3200+, so don't expect too much. The author of DOS32A is working on a new version that works better with Dark Forces though, so maybe in a while things will be better.

What's DOS32A????? When ever I overclock it, it starts to get close to the right speed, then just gets slower again 😠 I use a pentium 4, not an athlon I changed it to core=dynamic and now it's worse!

Reply 8 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's some info on DOS32A: [ANN]: DOS/32A v9.1.2 has been released

It's a replacement for DOS4GW, which the game uses to access extended memory in DOS.

How fast is your Pentium 4? The point right before it starts to get slower again is the fastest you'll be able to get it to go on your computer. You could try increasing the frameskip to 1 or 2 and see if it helps - I can't stand it but maybe you can. Different output= modes may also help a little.

Reply 9 of 30, by ChieSawaguchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Here's some info on DOS32A: [ANN]: DOS/32A v9.1.2 has been released

It's a replacement for DOS4GW, which the game uses to access extended memory in DOS.

How fast is your Pentium 4? The point right before it starts to get slower again is the fastest you'll be able to get it to go on your computer. You could try increasing the frameskip to 1 or 2 and see if it helps - I can't stand it but maybe you can. Different output= modes may also help a little.

3.5 ghz DOS/32A warning (9003): Real mode interrupt vector has beenmodified: INT 24h This error appeared after I exited the game 😖

Reply 13 of 30, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dark Forces is slower with dynamic than normal core. I'm not sure why this happens, it's been said it uses self modifying code but I have a hard time beliving that with a game complex as DF...

Reply 14 of 30, by ChieSawaguchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Doesn't Dark Forces work under XP?

Yeah but VDMsound just stutters and crashes.

Reply 16 of 30, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> it's been said it uses self modifying code but I have a hard time beliving
> that with a game complex as DF...

In the context of the dynamic core, think of SMC as code
that writes on the same page.
Don't know if this is a problem with this specific game.

Reply 18 of 30, by ChieSawaguchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Unfortunately compatability modes probably won't help, as it's a DOS game.

Compatability mode helped me with Wolfenstein 3D, but I can't stand to play Dark Forces without sound, this is why I chose dos box.

Reply 19 of 30, by narech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AFAIK DF works with DOSBox CVS + dos32a beta and SoundBlaster emulation (GUS emu randomly crashes the game, no idea why). DOS4GW seems to work just as well.