VOGONS

Reply 80 of 112, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hrm I have problem with dos32a not working on a lot of games using dos4gw, just refuse to run (tomb raider, rebel assault II) , however I find a later build of dos4gw (2.60) which I think is the final build of it? it is 266kb (vs 250 or 260) and seems to be a bit more stable than previous versions. I can put it up somewhere if anyone wants it.

Reply 81 of 112, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, put it up as an attachment to a message in this thread.

I thought that the last DOS4GW.EXE was a version 2.01a, which is 271,476 bytes large (there might have been an unreleased v2.01b), so it would be interesting to see a possible 'later' release...

dvwjr

Reply 83 of 112, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok, I will attach it here... I dunno if it's legal or not or abandonware or whut, has src code and other stuff too...

If it's not cool, may a moderator please edit this post. =]

Nevermind , it is still sold (for $299) so I deleted it... it's 2.01a anyways...

Reply 85 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

STTNG AFU has historically been unstable with DOS4GW, but I haven't tried it with DOSBOX 0.73 yet. With older versions of DOSBOX, the game even ran faster with DOS32A.

Reply 86 of 112, by V00D00

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Along with the 0.73 dosbox release i'd recommend the dos4gw that ships
with the game, or the 2.01 one, they usually provide the best compatibility.

A few of the dozens of guides to run the game, which also recommended to use the normal setting of the game, didn't worked a quarter as good as the one in the first post. Damn...... is this grammatically correct?

Anyway, my frustration grows from day to day. Why is Star Trek: 25th Anniversary from 1992 easier to run, then Star Trek: A Final Unity from 1995, altough both were programmed for DOS? Three years and they made it worse?

I forgot to mention, that I tried all of the regarded CPU cycles in this thread, but it doesn't seem to help.

As an edit to my post on page 4 of this thread:

Mainboard: ASUS A7M266
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 3
CPU: AMD Athlon M4 1.40GHz
RAM: 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Reply 87 of 112, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A few of the dozens of guides to run the game, which also recommended to use the normal setting of the game, didn't worked a quarter as good as the one in the first post.

Fine. Use what works for you.

And what about the speed?

I don't care about that because it's useless to compare speeds if dos4gw
works for a game and dos32a doesn't (there are a number of bugs, some have
already been fixed by the author btw.), not talking about *this* game because
i don't have it.
But i doubt you'd sense the speed difference, do you?

Reply 88 of 112, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello - I have STTNG AFU (DOS game, published in 1995-6) and I saw this thread - have printed out forum pg # 1 (total of 9 hard copy pages) for my future reference for when I want to play STTNG AFU in DOSbox, so I want to download the DOS 32A from Swaaye's link but I'm not sure whether to d/l the binary code version or the source code version of DOS 32A and perhaps the Legacy version?

The computers I'm hoping to play STTNG AFU on are a brand-new Macbook Pro running Windows XP with DOSbox 0.72 win32-installer and a Dell netbook running win XP with the same version of DOSbox.

Could you please tell me which version of DOS 32A I need?

Thanks.

Reply 90 of 112, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

What actual problem DO you have with 0.73 and dos4gw for a regular installation of this game??

Just tried v0.73. I don't have a problem at all. Default settings.

The only annoying thing is just the usual slow pageflipping of the setup program as it's a real mode 3000 cycler at that point. It installs directly off CD normally. That's it.

It's much better in 0.73 than 0.72. I don't think a guide would even be necessary anymore.

V00D00 wrote:

Anyway, my frustration grows from day to day. Why is Star Trek: 25th Anniversary from 1992 easier to run, then Star Trek: A Final Unity from 1995, altough both were programmed for DOS? Three years and they made it worse?

ST25A is a real mode DOS game developed by Interplay in 1991-92, designed for the capable 386 PC, equipped with EGA or VGA.

STTNG:AFU is a protected mode DOS game developed by Spectrum Holobyte in late '93 with a lot of vaporware style delays until its final 95 release. It is designed for the higher-end 486 PCs and first generation Pentiums.
It is protected mode so it can use higher resolution assets (SVGA) and sound files than ST25A can. It achieves this by using a DOS extender called DOS4GW. This allows it to go past the damned 640KB limit ST25A was stuck with, essential in order for STAFU to be relevant for the futuristic year '95 when the next generation of SVGA adventure gaming was being born. On real unemulated computers i've tried the game works fine technical, though the gameplay itself is buggy and you can even cause severe plot holes right in the beginning of the game. (This has nothing to do with the emulation of it)
Also, Captain Picard is better than Captain Kirk on any day of the week.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 92 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I gave the game a go with DosBox 0.73 tonight and found that it installs and plays fine without any special hacks now. Very nice. So yeah I agree that the guide is no longer needed and deleted it so that no one wastes their time.

Reply 93 of 112, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

So - what's the deal now that 0.73 seems to allow it to install? Edit the first post with a big fat NOT NEEDED SINCE 0.73 ?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 94 of 112, by V00D00

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I gave the game a go with DosBox 0.73 tonight and found that it installs and plays fine without any special hacks now. Very nice. So yeah I agree that the guide is no longer needed and deleted it so that no one wastes their time.

Well, I tried it again, after you deleted your post, but it just won't work.

The error I get is...

kstabell wrote:

I've tried that already and it gives me the "sosDIGIInitDriver" error as a result,[...]

...and that's all. I tried all the settings on the DOSBoxWiki and I tried all the configs given in this thread. What is it, that I'm doing wrong?

I'm using Windows 7 Professional (x64) for the moment.

bwyfc2fr.jpg

zjxqlr7f.jpg

qotpam4w.jpg

axj8f8bv.jpg

Reply 95 of 112, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're not mounting your C drive correctly. it is also usually better to mount the virtual cdrom as D, and remember to keep your mounting configuration exactly the same after installation.

Reply 96 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You would never install a game to the root directory of your C: drive on a real machine. Try mount c c:\games instead of mount c c:\games\sttng

There's also a thread on it here that I found via Google: http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about4828.html

Reply 98 of 112, by V00D00

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

You would never install a game to the root directory of your C: drive on a real machine. Try mount c c:\games instead of mount c c:\games\sttng

There's also a thread on it here that I found via Google: http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about4828.html

• anbet.gif

Now I will only have to wait a few days to play the game, because I need to install XP again. The graphics are displayed awfull in Windows 7.... party.gif