VOGONS

First post, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get the Adlib/Soundblaster DOOM music to play back as accurately as possible for a soundtrack recording.

The latest beta of the mighty ZDOOM has OPL2 emulation, but it sounds a few tones off key and the emulation is generally imperfect.

There's a MUS player program for DOS some guy wrote back in the day which plays back MUS files with actual OPL2/3 emulation, and I'm trying to get that working properly (there's a Windows version too, but it just uses General MIDI for the instruments). It runs in VDMSound, but I can't seem to get the playback speed right no matter what I try. So I've been trying it with the past few release versions of DOSBox. This screenshot shows the current results in 0.61:

dosbox_musplay.png

The program freezes just after displaying that last line, with dead silence. No errors appear in the log window, nothin'. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Reply 1 of 2, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, I'd given up all hope on this guy, but the latest CVS from ykhwong's page - executable dated 9.24 - runs MUSPLAY without freezing. Not sure what's changed recently, but I remember trying it out with a CVS build 2-4 weeks ago with and it didn't work.

Only problem is, MUSplay freezes up when you either hit ESC or a file finishes playing, and I have to close DOSBox manually. Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I guess that fix for a certain music player used in contraption zack made it work. (it's an RTC update which is the default used timer in the doom music player. To "confirm" this you could try to change to the /T0 timing with an older build to see if works.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!