VOGONS

Scorcher

Topic actions

First post, by telanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Running Scorcher on 0.74. It runs great, but it's not saving my configuration. I'm trying to get it setup to run from start at 640x480, 16bit with 3D on, but it resets each time to 320x240 with no 3d and 8-bit graphics

any ideas if scorcher saves it's config or not? I'm installed scorcher from My CD, which is a added via" imgmount d "i:\Isos\Win\games\Scorcher\Scorcher.cue" -t iso"

Reply 1 of 7, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It all rotates around the two files the game creates, scordos.bin and hiscores.bin. The game also does not save your high scores even though it asks for your initials. I checked those files data via a text editor and it is definitely updating the files, but for some reason the game is not reading them properly because it defaults back to its original settings and high scores. I am wondering if this is a game glitch or a DOSBox glitch. I have tried many mount location scenarios and even tried installing the game on a pure FAT environment. Nothing works for me. At least the game runs fine otherwise, but you're right, the game wont store or possibly read its own data properly at least under DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 7, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By the way...

I have had success getting the game settings to stick which is the scordos.bin file. When you initially install the game and then run it might throw scordos.bin and hiscores.bin into your c:\windows\temp directory. Delete those two files in that directory and run the game again and it should create the files in the game directory from there. Then set your options in the game and exit and see if it does not stick. As for the high scores sticking I have yet to find a solution for that.

Reply 4 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The DOS version of Scorcher (SCORDOS.EXE) does write the user config and high scores, but it later overwrites them with defaults. I don't know if the Windows 95 version (SCORWIN.EXE) has the same problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if it got preferential treatment in quality assurance.

The game tries to read the user config and score files at startup by opening them in read-only mode, and uses defaults if the files are missing. When it later wants to write the files it tries to open them in read-write mode, and if the open fails it creates them. The user data is written (good) to a created file, but the defaults are written (bad) to an existing file that is opened. This seemingly clear-cut behavior can be exploited to make a workaround for the problem: simply cause read-write mode open calls to fail so the file gets created. Actually, an existing file will be truncated to zero length by the create call, but the game doesn't care about that distinction.

Place the attached workaround program where Scorcher is installed. It's named SCORDOS.COM so you can start the game by typing "scordos" as usual; but the name is also good to prevent the mistake of running SCORDOS.EXE directly, because that would result in the defaults being written to the files!

Attachments

• Filename
    scorcher_fix.zip
    File size
    232 Bytes
    Downloads
    121 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 7, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow! Thanks for the file. Yeah, I noticed both scordos.bin (config save file) and hiscores.bin were both writing properly, but the game was not reading those results. So you have resolved the mystery. I was never able to get the Windows 95 launcher working due to 32bit only issues and Windows 95 compat mode not helping. When I did the initial install of the game from a CUE/BIN file that I created from the original CD in Windows 7 the game would create those files in c:\windows\temp and if you deleted those files the game on relaunch would then correctly write them to the game folder. Once the bin files are in the game folder that is when the config settings in the options menu OP was talking about will stick properly. The high scores issue had me stumped though. I really dig this racer (later tracks are nasty hard), so thanks again!

ripsaw8080 wrote:

The DOS version of Scorcher (SCORDOS.EXE) does write the user config and high scores, but it later overwrites them with defaults. I don't know if the Windows 95 version (SCORWIN.EXE) has the same problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if it got preferential treatment in quality assurance.

The game tries to read the user config and score files at startup by opening them in read-only mode, and uses defaults if the files are missing. When it later wants to write the files it tries to open them in read-write mode, and if the open fails it creates them. The user data is written (good) to a created file, but the defaults are written (bad) to an existing file that is opened. This seemingly clear-cut behavior can be exploited to make a workaround for the problem: simply cause read-write mode open calls to fail so the file gets created. Actually, an existing file will be truncated to zero length by the create call, but the game doesn't care about that distinction.

Place the attached workaround program where Scorcher is installed. It's named SCORDOS.COM so you can start the game by typing "scordos" as usual; but the name is also good to prevent the mistake of running SCORDOS.EXE directly, because that would result in the defaults being written to the files!

Last edited by liqmat on 2016-06-12, 19:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
liqmat wrote:

Once the bin files are in the game folder that is when the config settings in the options menu OP was talking about will stick properly.

Not quite properly. The settings that are written to the config file when it is created, whatever they are, will keep coming back no matter what changes you make subsequently. Of course you can delete the config file and redo all of the settings, but that is not convenient. The workaround program takes care of the config problem as well, so that any changes to the settings are correctly written when the game exits.