VOGONS

MechWarrior 2 Version 1.1 now works in DOSBox.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 22 of 71, by Derag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This gets the game running, and with a mounted cd, I get all the audio properly, which is great! Thanks! However...if I set the resolution to 1024x768, when I launch into a mission, I just get a flashing cursor (although I can hear all the audio, and I can even control the game!). Also, the game runs like butt even with the cycles set way up (20 or 30K cycles), and with lots of memory allocated to DosBox (I even tried a quarter of my ram...256MB). Dynamic cpu core runs it the best for me, normal not quite as good, and at full or simple it is really bad. I can play it at a decent framerate in Enhanced vision mode, since the detail levels are non-existant there.

Reply 27 of 71, by Derag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😜 You nailed my thoughts exactly...well...except for the heated cursing.

Abit AT7-Max2
XP 2700+
1GB PC2700 Ram
9700 Pro
Dual WD Caviar SEs at 80GB on a Raid-0

So, yeah, I would have thought it would run fine. I did not previously see the part where Darkgamork said he only got it running well in 0.61 with the dynamic core setting, so I tried that. It was a little better, but even then I could only get it to run smoothly at 320, with all the graphics options turned off. 😒

Reply 28 of 71, by Niarbeht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe there IS a crack for 1.6b SOMEWHERE in the universe. I know there is, because MW2 DID work for me at one time in DosBOX.

:'(

No matter how much I search, I can't find it though.

If anyone comes across promising results, please reply here or (preferably) e-mail me at Niarbeht@yahoo.com

Reply 32 of 71, by frozenentity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running Windows XP with
512 mb - RAM
2.80 GHz - Celeron Processor
Intel Extreme Graphics 3D - Video Card
80 GB - HD space.

Current Dosbox 0.63 settings:
------------------------------------
fullscreen=True
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=640X480
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=300

frameskip=1
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

core=dynamic
cycles=2000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

---------------------------------------------
pretty sure the rest don't really matter.

Reply 33 of 71, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's an extremely low cycle count - read this thread: How to speed up DOSBox (by robertmo and mirekluza)
I would also recommend trying a recent CVS build, as they contain many official fixes and improvements that have been added since 0.63: DOSBox SVN Builds

Reply 34 of 71, by frozenentity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that did. It was definately the low Cycles that was causing all that lag. Still a few glitches but I'll be sure to check out the CVS builds as soon as I get a chance. Thank you.

Reply 36 of 71, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I managed to get it running using the crack - I have the Pentium Edition of MechWarrior 2 (1.1).

But the problem now is that I indeed miss music and speech which kinda sucks since speech is important 😖

I hope CDROM compatibility in dosbox will be improved in the future since it seems a great deal of later DOS games suffer from not being able to detect the CD.

Reply 37 of 71, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

uhhh..Did you mount an actual IMAGE of your Mech2 Cd using IMGMOUNT? You have to do this for Mechwarrior to get CD music.

The latest CVS fixed alot of CD problems with games. If you have a game that's not working correctly with CD's then post it because AFAIK there aren't any remaining issues (Except of course having to mount the image instead of just using mount for some games).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 39 of 71, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, not an .ISO you have to use a .CUE/.BIN image. .ISO's don't contain CD music.

DosBox has to be cross-platform as such the Mount utility doesn't support some of the features that IMGMOUNT does..Compare to something like VPC/Vmware where the only way you can access a CD is to mount the image. It's actually amazing how many CD games do NOT require using IMGMOUNT.

You can probably mount .NRG files in DosBox but you'll only be able to read the DATA portion not the AUDIO part. This is the same for all imaging products that use their own image formats....you can pretty much open them all up with Winimage/WinISO/Isobuster but they probably wouldn't be able to read the subchannel/Audio part.

It may be possible to create a .CUE for a .NRG/.MDF/.CCD file but I've never tried it......

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline