VOGONS

First post, by Remi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had been spending a few hours trying to get this sound driver to work in Dosbox SVN (don't remember which SVN but it was before 2012), and I am able to get GUS 3.59 installed but I am having issues at the diagnostics testing screen. This is even after I set my numbers correctly and match it with the conf file.

Check I/0 Address: Passed
Check SBOS Mode: Sbos vector not functional
Check DMA CHannel: Passed
CHeck DRAM: Passed
CHeck UltraSound IRQ: Passed
Check SB/MIDI IRQ: SB/Midi IRQ Timeout

Settings:

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=3
hdma=1
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

gus=True
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\GAMES\ULTRASND

I tried using the pre made 4.11 drivers, but my dosbox does not recognize it despite the fact that I point it to the directory were it is in the .conf file, and I heard it has issues with Mortal Kombat 2 which is what I been trying to get working along with other games. Could be an Soundblaster Issue that I am missing. I would appreciate some help.

Reply 1 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox isn't supporting SBOS and MegaEm. Or, to be precise, isn't supporting NMI and VCPI.
So, if you need Sound Blaster - use sbtype=, not the GUS emulation.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 5, by Remi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright. You are telling me to disable soundblaster? I don't get it. I set it to none, and I still am not getting no music or some games won't refuse to start like this after typing ultramid.exe like this one for example:

An Error has occured while running PC Blackthrone

Unable to initialize digital sound driver. Run setup.exe

I am still getting no music though I do get sound effects at least on some games. Sorry about this.

Reply 3 of 5, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, he's telling you not to emulate a Sound Blaster with the GUS, the diagnostics screen will always report those errors for the reasons Gamecollector stated.
As for Blackthorne, make sure you have the ultrapatches installed; you're running ultramid; the sound is configured as Gravis (at least for music) and the Sound Blaster settings don't conflict with the GUS ones in the .conf file.

Reply 5 of 5, by Remi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aw, you would not believe this but, setting my Ultrasnd directory to the default C:\Ultrasnd solved all my problems when I realize that the midi player was refusing to play music out of C:\Games\Ultrasnd even when I changed the directory within ultrasnd.ini. I don't know if Turning off soundblaster in mega-em did anything, but if it did then alright. Funny how it took almost three days to figure that one out. Again, thanks to everyone who helped.