VOGONS

First post, by Danikar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to play Elder Scrolls Arena on DOSBox. The host machine is a macbook pro with OS X Lion installed.

The first dungeon seemed kind of dark, but I ignored it. Once I got outside, I realized the rendering distance was a major issue. Here is a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/aUXAm.png

I am not sure if this is a known issue with an easy fix. Or even if it is an issue with DOSBox. If anyone has information on DOSBox with this game, did you run into this issue?

Thanks for any help!

Reply 1 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Are you sure that has anything to do with dosbox and isn't a feature of the gane you need to configure? (rethoric question since you wrote you are not sure).
Looks like something the engine does to enable smooth gameplay on low end machines.

Last edited by Dominus on 2012-06-10, 07:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 12, by Danikar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I messed around with the game setting. But there really is only one setting, called detail, and it really doesn't seem to change much.

EDIT: I thought it might be something about low end machines. Is there any way I can "turn up the juice" for DOSBox?

I turned up the cycles, and I messed with the machine= setting in the DOSBox config. But neither of those seemed to help.

Reply 3 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

can you attach a savegame? I'm loath to actually play this game but the dungeon looks okayish to me...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 12, by Danikar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the entire directory for the game. I assume the save file is in there somewhere. There seemed to be a few files in there with the prefix SAVE.

All the save games seem to have the same issue. The one I took the screenshot from is called Battle Mage 1.

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/6dabdd68-950 … -tO0zgSihuCcNQ2

Reply 6 of 12, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Looks like bad weather to me. Try resting somewhere.

Aye, seems like bad weather to me too. Try resting as leileilol said, or fast-travel somewhere else (right-click on the map icon).

I guess it's possible that the detail slider in the option menu is down on the lowest setting (press Esc to get there), but I doubt it.

Reply 7 of 12, by Danikar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think it is bad weather. I tried sleeping for about two months a week at a time. I kept checking outside and every time it was like this. One of the times I woke up there was a mist on my screen, which I assume was bad weather, but that was additional stuff on top of what is usually looks like.

I also messed with the detail thing, and there was no difference.

Reply 8 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

looks like a bad weather that is dependent on the location not time. If you look at mobygames screenshots you notice day/clear weather levels have long distance while dark dungeon/night has short distance. No fog there. Also make another screenshot showing the most visible distance cause it looks you made a special screenshot without anything in the distance so that it looks short.

Attachments

• a_000.png
    Filename
    a_000.png
    File size
    18.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 12, by Danikar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://imgur.com/a/NwFVu

Here is a comparison picture between what it looks like and how it should look. Note the times on each photo, I don't think the weather changes that fast.

For some reason randomly reloading makes it work sometimes.

The original screen shot is just at the gates of the town where you start, I didn't specifically set up anything to make it look worse than it is.

In almost every "Lets Play" video I can find on youtube, it looks like the picture without fog.

Reply 10 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Elder_Sc ... S-DOS).png

check what is written there when the visibility is good.

Attachments

• a_004.png
    Filename
    a_004.png
    File size
    12.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • a_003.png
    Filename
    a_003.png
    File size
    10.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • a_002.png
    Filename
    a_002.png
    File size
    13.1 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also it looks your saves are
3rd of Hearthfire (Tales and Tallows)
which is September i guess (so indeed almost autumn)

Attachments

• a_005.png
    Filename
    a_005.png
    File size
    14.92 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it looks the fog disappears during the night fall.
And it only appears during the day while passing doors.
So you can cheat it by not passing doors during the day 😉
(you can camp till 6am, enter the city and fastforward dosbox with alt-f12 till the day appears 😉
Though it is still not a good solution as entering shops will break it again.