VOGONS

First post, by ryce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a game on a CD mounted on dosbox. Installed everything and mounted correctly but the only problem is the game doesn't play music track. It plays opening music but no music during the actual gameplay. I did a bit of searching and people say make bin/cue file. I have no clue what that is or how to make one.

Reply 1 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use alcohol 120% to make a bin/cue image of the cd

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the name of the game? Does it play CD audio tracks or MIDI files or digitized music files? Is the setup or install of the game configured correctly to use the proper sound card with the Dosbox's settings? If the game auto-detects the audio hardware, try setting up manually.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 19, by ryce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a Chinese RPG. It should play the CD audio tracks because if I don't use dosbox to run the game and use my cd drive instead, it open up itunes and it has the music track of it. During the sound setup, it ask for:

99762253.png

85350304.png

I'm pretty sure I selected the audio correctly because the game has sound and music during the opening but no music during the actual gameplay

Reply 4 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ryce wrote:

It's a Chinese RPG. It should play the CD audio tracks because if I don't use dosbox to run the game and use my cd drive instead, it open up itunes and it has the music track of it.

Yes, that means you're probably going to have to make a bin/cue image. It has nothing to do with how the game's sound options are configured.

Use ImgBurn, specifically the "Create Image File from Disc" option.
http://www.imgburn.com/

Reply 5 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dos games sometimes look for the first cd-drive to load the cd audio tracks. Do you have more than one cd drive? If yes, try assigning the first physical cd-drive for use as the default cd drive in dosbox.

You still need to setup a virtual cd drive to use the bin/cue image you may make. Daemon tools Lite (free) is very helpful to mount a large number of cd image formats.

I still remember some Playstation games which have audio tracks on the cd didn't play them in the epsxe emulator since the virtual drive I used to mount the cue/bin image I made, was not the first drive. (my real physical drive was having the precedence.)

I remember CD audio was not played in my actual Win95/Dos system last time when I had two cd drives, when I loaded the cd in the second drive.

Reply 6 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Don't mind what Malik writes about the need to setup a virtual CD drive. Dosbox has the imgmount command which takes care of that. No need for daemon tools or similar

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

On how to mount an image, read the documentation, as for where the bin/cue went, search or look at where the program saves t hem to (by starting another imaging step)

Reply 11 of 19, by ryce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the image in my C drive, it's just called image.bin. Made a new folder call dosgames.

Ran dosbox, typed in:

mount c c:/dosgames
imgmount d c:/image.bin -t iso
d:/
install

Took me to the setup of the game, ran the install, and played the game, still no music. It seems like everything was the same as the original CD. Am I missing a step or did something wrong?

Reply 12 of 19, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You must mount the .cue file.
imgmount d c:\image.cue -t iso
With the .bin only you can't use CDAudio - no info about the starting/ending sectors of the CDA tracks.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 13 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing I'm puzzled about : The above screen shows the screen setup to select the MIDI device.

Games like Warcraft II, Settlers II, etc., do have options to play either on-disc digital audio or MIDI files. So I'm not surprised if the above game supports both formats.

So from your statement above, the beginning music is a MIDI file - because you can hear it, and possibly all in-game music is through the cd audio tracks? (And I also assume that you have only a single CD/DVD drive?)

And also, you mentioned on inserting the cd, "it open up itunes and it has the music track of it". How many tracks are there in it? Does it play all the audio tracks without trouble?

Have you tried playing other DOS games with CD Audio tracks, and do they work? (If available.)

Reply 14 of 19, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

One thing I'm puzzled about : The above screen shows the screen setup to select the MIDI device.

There are a few DOS games that offer MIDI configuration even though they never use MIDI.

Like Redguard, for example. There is no MIDI music in the game at all, only CD tracks, but the SETSOUND.EXE program from Miles Sound System still offer MIDI configuration. My guess is that the developer is simply just lazy and use whatever the default configuration settings are from the sound system they license, if there is no MIDI it won't cause crashes or anything if it's configured anyway, so why bother to remove it.

Reply 17 of 19, by SuperFAex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem similar to the one that was solved in here. I am trying do run a german game called "Pumuckl: Fangt den Klabauter". To run it I need Windows 3.x, which is no problem since I have it installed on my DOSBox and I've already played another game this way.

When I run the Pumuckl game, it starts fine and is perfectly playable. All the sounds work correctly, but the music is not playing. The game CD is a hybrid audio cdrom with music tracks that you can play in a CD player if you so desire. I tried creating a bin/cue in hopes of the music working like that but to no success. The game runs exactly the way it does when played via CD.

The game has no setup (at least not as far as I can tell) and you have to run it directly from the CD.

Do you have any further ideas how I can get the music to play?

Reply 18 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC windows 3.x uses a CD audio driver. Been a long time since I played around with that so not sure though.

There should also be a CD audio player app with windows 3.x so you can use that for testing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline