VOGONS

First post, by bismarck611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm one of the the few Command HQ players left on the planet. A few of the other players have upgraded to Windows 7 and seem to have problems with dos box running Command HQ. Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if its Dos-Box or something with their setup or something with the game? Hoping someone has ideas. Thx

Reply 2 of 17, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bismarck611 wrote:

I'm one of the the few Command HQ players left on the planet. A few of the other players have upgraded to Windows 7 and seem to have problems with dos box running Command HQ. Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if its Dos-Box or something with their setup or something with the game? Hoping someone has ideas. Thx

/facepalm people would help you with this bismarck but you need to supply a little more information:

- What error if any shows when you run the game
- Are the people involved able to run Dosbox by itself?
- Did you reinstall the game within dosbox, do you have a valid original copy
- Did any of these people have Command HQ running within Dosbox before upgrading to Win7
- Are you running the latest version of Dosbox (.74 as of now)

Dosbox runs just fine under Windows 7. If Dosbox is capable of running Command HQ, it should do it equally well pretty much regardless of where you are running Dosbox. However some games do give Dosbox itself difficulty. Not being a Command HQ player I can't tell you for sure off the bat. But if you want help, you need to be specific about what is happening when you try to install/run the game before any can be given.

-Frob

Reply 3 of 17, by DallasSteve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

QBid, this is not the most useless report of the year. Command HQ is the greatest Risk style combat game ever developed. I will pick up this baton and answer frobme's questions:

- What error if any shows when you run the game - No error shows expcept: this program is not compatable with Windows 64. Well, DUH!
- Are the people involved able to run Dosbox by itself? I can run DOSBOX. I can navigate to the game folder.
- Did you reinstall the game within dosbox, do you have a valid original copy - I have an original compy I purchased at a box store. I don't know what it means to reinstall the game within DOSBOX. I didn't have to do that in the old DOSBOX
- Did any of these people have Command HQ running within Dosbox before upgrading to Win7 - I was playing Command HQ in DOSBOX with my old Windows XP computer (RIP)
- Are you running the latest version of Dosbox (.74 as of now) - Yes, I'm using DOSBOX .74

Reply 5 of 17, by DallasSteve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you are right. I got confused. When I ran it in DOSBOX it gave me no error, it just quit - that is, DOSBOX disappeared. I got the other error when I tried running it by double-clicking a shortcut set up on my desktop with compatability options.

Reply 6 of 17, by DallasSteve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, I tried running install.exe from the game folder in DOSBOX. The first time it closed DOSBOX without any message. I went back and tried again and it worked for a few seconds and then showed a new DOS prompt. But when I tried to run the executable after that DOSBOX still crashed.

Reply 7 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Telling us what mounting commands you used might tell if you are doing something wrong. Just saying that you ran it in DOSBox does not provide any information.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 17, by DallasSteve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't see how posting the mounting commands are going to solve this problem. If I'm in the correct folder and I try to run it, it should run.

I followed the DOSBOX instructions for modifying the config file to mount DOSBOX in my oldgames folder. I open DOSBOX. It opens in my oldgames folder. I change the directory to the HQ folder. I type in chq.exe and press enter. DOSBOX disappears and nothing happens. It used to work for me in other versions of Windows but it is not working in Windows 7.

Reply 9 of 17, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"I don't see how posting the mounting commands are going to solve this problem."

I don't see how not providing the info people ask for is going to solve your problem either.

Reply 11 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DallasSteve, if you come here asking for help be helpful yourself. If people ask for stuff yoou shoudl answer it, we *are* trying to help but you need to do your part, too.

Please read and follow the 60 seconds guide, when you then still run into a problem please post where you got the problem.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 17, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No one can say anything useful when they don't friggin know what your doing. Just because you are getting the game mounted does not mean you are mounting it RIGHT. Not to mention there are a multitude of switches that can help and/or cause problems.

Your attitude is ridiculous.

If you want help, then do some bloody research and answer the bloody questions. Otherwise, get out of here.

I don't know what it means to reinstall the game within DOSBOX

Then you obviously haven't done much research into how to use dosbox.

Some games will only run from the same folder structure they were installed too.

so if a game is installed to 'c:\game\' and expects to be run from 'c:\game', then you have to mount the parent folder above game as your c drive, that way dosbox see's the same structure.

That is just ONE example of how your mounting can affect how the game runs. And that also shows why it is important to install the game within dosbox, as it will align itself to run from wherever you tell it to install to.

Now keep your snarky ass replies to yourself. [silence] I thought so [silence]

Reply 13 of 17, by DallasSteve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

exofreeze

Your name and your avatar show the kind of person you are. I didn't start the attitude. You did with this comment:

"I don't see how not providing the info people ask for is going to solve your problem either."

I just gave it back and you don't like it. Tough. I don't take orders from you and so I'll reply as I see fit. I'm not the person being snarky. You are. I'm through responding to your snarky ass replies.

Dominus, I did answer his question about how I mounted it. Here's the answer again: "I followed the DOSBOX instructions for modifying the config file to mount DOSBOX in my oldgames folder."

Steve

Reply 14 of 17, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about instead of assuming you did something right when you may have not you post specific information:
-Your mounts, during install and after install (they need to be the same).
There is a reason for such a question...so, bluntly: want help? Help people here help you and answer their queries.

Reply 15 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I followed the DOSBOX instructions for modifying the config file to mount DOSBOX in my oldgames folder.

this is not the real answer.
mount c some path
would have been the real answer.

Again, if you want help follow the 60 seconds guide, install the game again and post where it fails. Right now your attitude will only get this thread locked and you may have won an attitude contest but you will have failed to get the game running.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exofreeze wrote:

This game is running just fine for me. This is obviously an ID 10 T error.

Wow, he only has 6 posts and someone's already called him an idiot. That must be a VOGONS record.