VOGONS

First post, by pisto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've already searched in this forum and googled around, but I can't fix my problem: both with mounted iso or real cdrom drive (even with -noioctl, as suggested somewhere in this forum), I can't hear any music, but only sound effects like shoots. The emulated sound card is sb16, and is recognized well by TR1.
My system is ubuntu 11.04 x64. My guess is that, if it's not a bug in dosbox, then it's my particular version of the TR1 CD, but how can identify it?

thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 10, by pisto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yay it worked, but it was not immediate: first I created an image with Brasero, but the music was just a loud noise. Then I found this article http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Cuesheet#Linux , so I ripped it with cdrdao and the option to byteswap the tracks, but dosbox can't recognize the toc/cue file that cdrdao emits. So, at last, since the two .bin image created by cdrdao and Brasero were identical in size, I just deleted the cdrdado cue and modified the Brasero version to accept the .bin generated by the former, and it worked 😊

Here's the cue sheet format that cdrdao generates:

CD_ROM

// Track 1
TRACK MODE1_RAW
NO COPY
DATAFILE "tombraider.bin" 19:21:58 // length in bytes: 204936816

// Track 2
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
SILENCE 00:02:00
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 0 03:16:45
START 00:02:00

// Track 3
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 03:16:45 02:00:13

// Track 4
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 05:16:58 03:03:09

// Track 5
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 08:19:67 03:08:58

// Track 6
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 11:28:50 03:07:47

// Track 7
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 14:36:22 01:03:40

// Track 8
Show last 22 lines
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 15:39:62 00:57:46

// Track 9
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 16:37:33 00:15:30

// Track 10
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "tombraider.bin" #204936816 16:52:63 00:36:65

This format isn't recognized by foobar2000 either, it has problems even with double slash comments.
So, please add a proper parser in dosbox, or state in the wiki the option to pass to cdrdao so that it creates dosbox compatible cuesheet (I fear that there's no such option).

Interstellar thanks!

Reply 5 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Check the sourceforge page, you'll find links to browse the source as well as the address
where to download the dosbox svn trunk. If you find detailed information about the
various cue sheet formats feel free to post links here.

Reply 6 of 10, by pisto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, I'll look into it.
Also, don't you think that it'd be more immediate to implement an option to byteswap cd tracks? That would be much more user friendly than asking users to use a command line tool like cdrdao instead of the nice GUI of Brasero...

Reply 7 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Also, don't you think that it'd be more immediate to implement an option to byteswap cd tracks?

If you can identify when it's necessary to do the swapping and when not, it may be a nice feature, yes.

Reply 8 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no "proper" cuesheet format. The accepted cue format initially comes from CDRWin IIRC, and hasn't changed much since the first implementation. That cdrdao thing is a format probably only cdrdao understands, and thus couldn't be called "proper" by a sensible person. As you've written yourself, fb2k can't handle the cdrdao cue format. I'm pretty sure no other software can.

Also, byteswapping raw data while dumping doesn't make the least bit of sense IMO. I guess that a) the software is buggy or improperly implemented or b) there has been an user error.

So, to sum it up, you're asking the DOSBox devs to implement a cue sheet format which most probably can be created/understood by only one program (cdrdao), plus you're asking the devs to implement a feature because you most probably made a mistake while dumping the CD or have been using faulty software (or software that creates incompatible data, in the case of the cue sheet). You sure know how to make friends quickly.

EDIT: here is some reading material

Reply 9 of 10, by pisto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't make it clear, but you could have guessed by my post order: first I thought to implement a reader for that cuesheet, then, even thought cdrdao is pretty a common tool AFAIK, I agree that it's not a good idea to run after every new cue sheet format that appears. So, I came up with the byteswapping thing. I don't think that it's a good idea to bug the cdrdao devs to conform their cuesheet to the normal (?) format, nor ask the team of Brasero, a tool aimed for out-of-box experience, to add an obscure checkbox like "byteswap audio tracks".
All of this is for the sake of saving time of the future users, is it that bad?

ADDiCT wrote:

You sure know how to make friends quickly.

We sure do better than you, I was like "oh yeah I'm so glad that you helped me to play a game from my childhood, I want to payback with some ideas and possible some of my time spent in implementing them", and the devs (yeah, they!) were like "good, this topic is not our priority but we want dosbox to be better and help is appreciated". You were just like "it works for me, it doesn't for you because you made a mistake, your ideas are worthless". Keep this for yourself, for the future.

Reply 10 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Byteswapping usually only occurs on different ending type machines (not the case here)
or if some driver layer "has to do it" for some compatibility reason (don't see any reason
for that though).
As i said if you can detect that an image/cue sheet is byte swapped you may add some
logic in dosbox for that (might slow things down but better than noise).