VOGONS

First post, by 123kid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys

ive recently discovered dosbox and immediately set forth to play the old games i had as a kid..such as commander keen, duke nukem, captain comic, ddm soccer 96, etc

but im having a major issue with my keyboard which ruins the gameplay

lets say im playing soccer and im running diagonally and want to turn back

id have to release the keys completely to move down

i dont have this problem with any windows games or in any other applications, so this problem is specific to dosbox

is there anything that can be done?

Reply 5 of 16, by 123kid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im still not sure how this is a keyboard problem

i can hold all directional keys to my hearts content in something like crysis, etc

but in dosbox i have to take my fingers completely off the keys to use the next one, which really kills the experience

Reply 10 of 16, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could try playing with the cycles (increasing them by a lot)... seems to have helped someone else who had a problem of keyboard events not registering properly. Not the same problem, but it might be related.

Reply 11 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Depends a lot on how a particular game reads the keyboard. If there is an issue, it's possible that it's in SDL, not in DOSBox itself, so you could try other emulators that use SDL. Could also try SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB, which might seem more about video than the keyboard, but I believe it forces SDL to not use DirectX for other things, such as DirectInput.

Reply 13 of 16, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
123kid wrote:
bloodbat wrote:

All directional keys in Crysis as in WASD vs the arrow up, down, etc?

yes

Yes what? Anyway, I have a Sidewinder keyboard, it is claimed you can press n keys simultaneously with it, it's partially true...when using WASD, if I use the arrows, they won't register properly if paired with...say...shift. I don't really get the need for pressing, say, up and down at the same time, after all, you can't go forward and backward at the same time (you'd come to standstill), nor can you traverse two diagonals at once; given that, Crysis might get the jammed keyboard too, you're just not noticing or your keyboard could be wired like mine and work with WASD but not the arrows (that seem to have gone out of style for such endeavors)

Reply 14 of 16, by 123kid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

a mechanical keyboard should alleviate these problems as the circuit for keys are independent of one another, therefore wont jam on multiple key presses/holds in the same area

(i use arrows and WASD area for dosbox)

Reply 15 of 16, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In some cases you may have to re-map the keyboard to suit your needs. I did and evrything works fine now except I have to remember I swapped a couple of keys. Try what ripsaw8080 wrote first.

Reply 16 of 16, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

old keyboards were optimised for a use of arrows and ctrl/alt/shift/space and were jamming with asdw with ctrl/alt/shift/space.

as modern games use asdw with ctrl/alt/shift/space so in order to gain no jamming this combinations they had to jamm arrows with ctrl/alt/shift/space i guess