VOGONS

First post, by zeroth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to post this as a dosbox bug report and offer up more debug info (I'm a programmer, myself) but was unable to find any such resource on the website.

Dosbox 0.74
Stonekeep v1.2 retail cd
Gentoo Linux

after configuration, StoneKeep ran flawlessly until one particular part of the game and it just hangs when right before a particular monster is killed. reloading the save game yields the same hang, I haven't tested this on the windows build yet.

Reply 3 of 16, by zeroth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

anyone can download my savegame from here: http://eoc.serveftp.org:9090/share/sksave.zip

just extract it into your "stonekeep/savegame/" directory. load it up, step forward, attack the green slime monster under the water (healing yourself now and again, "I" for inventory), and as soon as he dies, the game crashes.

I just tried this with dosbox 0.72 and the same basic thing happens except I get an error: "fopen failed: .poj not grouped". there are no *.poj files in stonekeep installation or cd, however. all files are readable by my system's user.

dosbox is the only way I can get StoneKeep to run at all. Qemu+Freedos fails install; Dosemu+Freedos hangs at black screen at start; I've even tried two real computers running Dos 6.2, mouse and cdrom drivers, with a real ISA SB16 card - installs and configs fine, but black screen at start.

This game is indeed a bitch.

Reply 5 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm this freeze as well with my version , the readme says its version 1.05, I bought it right when it came out so it makes sense I have an earlier build I guess.

Will try a couple things and see if I can figure it out and get back to you.

Ok I also tried this out on my P90 with Dos6.22 and it actually crashes out after you kill the monster and gives some error codes which flash by as the computer resets.

Since it crashes both places im left thinking maybe it's a speed issue? It seems to me like a P90 would have been ideal for this game around that time though.

Maybe the game is just screwed. I did notice that you can sorta lead those slimes away by running back and then up. Maybe you can make it through just avoiding the slimes? Those things are a bitch to kill also.

I'll let you know if I get any further with this.

Update: Even with the game almost unplayably slow at 5000 cycles it still crashes. I don't know maybe there something wrong with the save but that seems unlikely to me.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2011-06-11, 06:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 16, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your games are unpatched, I'd suggest doing so...Stonekeep is a very, very evil game without patches.
If you're so hellbent on finishing it, the GOG version works all the way to the end. I finished it that way.

Reply 9 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If a certain point in the game was impassable (or passable only by extraordinary means) in DOSBox, it most likely would have been reported already, particularly with the game being sold by GOG for some time now. Stonekeep has many save slots, so there's really no reason not to keep a thorough history of savepoints allowing you to back up to some point from which a particular problem does not always emerge.

Reply 12 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

GOG

You may have to go back considerably farther in the save history than saves made near where the problem occurs; perhaps as far back as before entering that level, for example.

Reply 14 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GOG doesn't have any source code. The only modifications they do is to provide an installer, Use ScummVM or DOSBox or use an launcher executable that applies the fixes (for the windows games)

Last edited by DosFreak on 2011-06-14, 08:44. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 16, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some GOG games seem to be modified. For instance there's some titles using CDDA music in their original form but digital audio in their GOG incarnations. I don't think stuff like that can be done without modifying code. I wouldn't bet on GOG modifying old DOS games when there's no "distribution-related" reason to do so though. AFAIK, all GOG games are patched to the latest version.

Anyway, zeroth: just check the GOG forums, there's lots of info there.

Reply 16 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably done in memory, file hack or the original dev does it. GOG has stated many times that no source code is ever provided.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline