VOGONS

First post, by erdemöztürk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have run Windows98 on my Nokia C5-03 with S60 DOSBOX, but it was so slow that we can't run any software. I want to run IE on my C5-03. Could I run IE 5-6 with dosbox? I know IE doesn't a DOS app. but could we run it?

If I have mistakes in article, sorry for bad English. English isn't my main language. If not, please tell me 😁

please use a signature that matches the other signatures on the forum.

Reply 1 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
erdemöztürk wrote:

I have run Windows98 on my Nokia C5-03 with S60 DOSBOX, but it was so slow that we can't run any software.

That's because running Windows 98 in DOSBox is not supported and generally a terrible idea.

I want to run IE on my C5-03. Could I run IE 5-6 with dosbox?

You can probably run the 16-bit version of IE 5 in Windows 3.1 in DOSBox. I cannot comprehend why you would want to do this.

Reply 2 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phones aren't even fast enough to handle an emulated x86 running Windows 9X running IE. You're better off not wasting your time for some impractical unsupported nostalgic novelty of browsing the web on your phone with desktop browsers

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 20, by erdemöztürk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I have Opera Mobile / Mini; UC Browser, BrowserNG (Phone's original browser) and Bolt Browser (HTML Support for S60). But I want to try a real desktop browser. Just nostalgie 😁 And I want to run IE without Windows, and it was really a terrible idea.

Whatever, I will ask one more thing: If dosbox can run every dos application; can I run freedos and then run dos2unix for get Linux on my phone?

Reply 4 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dosbox isn't supposed to run 'every dos application'

it's supposed to run games

games

Operating systems with the illusion of being functional is a side effect from booting images. DOSBox does not support using Windows 9x or Linux within the emulator, and you're fooling yourself if you think it does.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 20, by erdemöztürk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, than I will ask you my last question:

I have seen Need for Speed (for dosbox) on Turkish forums, and it needs a virtual keyboard. In phone, I have got a virtual keyboard app. but it can't work on DOSBox. If DOSBox has a virtual keyboard (I have seen on videos, but i didnt find) where is it or how can I get it? If there's no virtual keyboard, I have to create a keymap. 😢

Reply 6 of 20, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://sourceforge.net/projects/s60dosbox/for … 5/topic/3726868

Dunno if this will actually work on your phone, but you can give it a try.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 10 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
erdemöztürk wrote:

Whatever, I will ask one more thing: If dosbox can run every dos application; can I run freedos and then run dos2unix for get Linux on my phone?

Isn't dos2unix just a converter for text files?

Reply 11 of 20, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Isn't dos2unix just a converter for text files?

Maybe the version for lamers. I have seen the real dos2unix on Turkish forums, it patches any known version of DOS and converts it to a fully-functional UNIX-based OS of your choice.
Confirmed to work on a real MS-DOS v3.10 5.25" floppy, patched to the latest Ubuntu release and running stable on original PC/AT (I have seen on videos, but i didnt find).

Reply 13 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But he as SEEN it 😉
I have seen at least a Dos 6.22 converter for Windows. It's a mighty hack. You start dos and then run some setup.exe in a directory filled with files and then suddenly (after about 30-60 minutes) you have Windows 95 on that machine. MIRACLE!!!
I guess that dos2unix works the same way 😉

@mods, plese force change that signature... 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 20, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ADDiCT wrote:

Suuuure. This magic tool probably also allows one to run Crysis on a mobile phone.

On a mobile phone? sure, if you wanna go the easy way, but where's the fun in that... I use it to run Crysis on Win98, within DOSbox, running on Linux, installed on my AT&T model 500 rotary-dial phone!

BRB though, gotta post a help request thread and ask how to enter raw x86 opcodes in binary using the "0"s and "1" on my dial... I mean, it's supported, right? 😉

Reply 16 of 20, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Doer:

I have already written a whole system for doing anything outside of dosbox in XP including IE.
Wokrs perfectly every time except you need a fast CPU unlike most game doers that want slow CPU's.

Let me know and I can send the package to you unhindged and no strings attached

-Garry J. Nichol (NTP)

Reply 17 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
garrynichol wrote:

I have already written a whole system for doing anything outside of dosbox in XP including IE.
Wokrs perfectly every time except you need a fast CPU unlike most game doers that want slow CPU's.

Runs on a cellphone, too, I bet.

Reply 19 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heck if I know what you've "written", but in case you somehow missed the thread title and Mr. Doer's first post, the cell phone was kind of the whole idea here.