VOGONS

Reply 21 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@ripsaw8080: putting the lookat files in a subfolder and mounting a c:drive to that folder didn't allow the program to run either.

you misunderstood. Don't mount the subfolder as c:, keep your old mount and then in dosbox use the cd command to change directory to the subfolder (e.g., "cd lookat" (if lookat is the name of the subfolder)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 26, by tonyinthecity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe some of you could take a look a the "dosprogs" zip file below. It contains the lookat.bat and all supporting program files. It worked once and should work again, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If you get it to work, you should be able to simply type "lookat" and press pg down. It will display a black screen, then a footer menu bar, then a series of graphics from back in the Prodigy days. The images should display in a sequence determined by the addemo file (which is basically a script of the graphics file names).

Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated. But just to confirm my processes so far: I've redownloded the DOSBox application to my Mac, and have recopied the "dosprogs" files (the lookat.bat file and supporting program files, as well as the graphics files), over to my Mac from the original CD that they were on. And no matter where I mount a C drive or place the "dosprogs" folder, lookat won't run again.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosprogs.zip
    File size
    305.54 KiB
    Downloads
    332 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

When the program to be run by MVDI.COM does not have an extension, or has a .BAT extension, it runs the program through the command shell using a /C parameter. DOSBox expects a delimiter after /C but the program does not put one, so a subshell is created instead of executing the command. Real DOS does not require a delimiter after /C, so there appears to be an incompatibility there.

When the program to be run by MVDI.COM has a .EXE or .COM extension, it is executed directly instead of through the command shell. Changing "PBO" to "PBO.EXE" in LOOKAT.BAT works around the issue:

MVDI +pMVDI.PLP vga640.scr PBO.EXE %1

Although this fixes program execution, if you run LOOKAT.BAT with no parameters, the PBO.EXE program just displays its command line usage, so it wants a filename parameter. If you run LOOKAT.BAT with one of the image files as a parameter, PBO.EXE reports "Invalid Object". It appears PBO.EXE works with some kind of object file, not the image files.

Reply 25 of 26, by tonyinthecity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all your help. I was able to get it to run. Apparently the show.bat file runs the preview utility, not lookat.bat, as one of you pointed out. I think what was happening was when I typed lookat, it would dump me back to C:, and then show wouldn't work. And that's what I was doing over and over again, thinking lookat was the command that starts the viewer. I mounted the C and typed show, and I'm able to view and pg down through the files. The world is saved. I REALLY appreciate everyone's input on this. Those images represent about 5 years of work I thought was gone forever.