Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1139870

Noticed this comment today:

Unfortunately some games still run like shit. Carmageddon runs fine in low res, but hires mode is impossibly slow. Also I wish I could get 640x480 working for Chasm: The Dark Rift. But this is a Dosbox problem, not a Boxer one.

Anyone have this game? Is he is just referring to performance issues on his shitty mac?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think they meant Chasm: The Rift (sans Dark), and its 640x480 mode works correctly in Win32 DOSBox 0.74, although they didn't really describe the problem. Maybe a platform issue.

Reply 4 of 31, by gag halfrunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow. So I tried to play Chasm again and it still runs quite slow in 640x480 mode. I posted that on Arstechinca, and when you type "chasm rift boxer" in Google this thread is listed first in the results. Yes I incorrectly called it The Dark Rift 😀

I use Boxer on hackintosh with an E8400 3ghz, 8gb ram ,so I don't think my "shitty mac" has much to do Chasm running poorly. It runs much better at 320x240, but I want to use the hires mode. Carmageddon too runs very slow in Hires, as does Skynet (when it works).

Perhaps its Boxer problem, but since Boxer is a frontend for DosBox maybe is a Dosbox OS X issue? I use Boxer because no other frontend is nearly as slick or as easy to use.

I'll try messing about with Dosbox under W7 to see if Chasm runs as poorly under hires.

For those who are saying it runs "fine" for them are you saying it runs smooth (i.e. playable say 30fps or more, any less and its not worth it imo), or that it just works. Of course it works, just runs slowly under 640x480 mode.

Reply 6 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't think Boxer adds overhead, but try without it once 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 31, by gag halfrunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so here is a shot of what Boxer gives me. I dont know where the conf file is or how Boxer uses them so Im unaware of another way to edit any config to squeeze out more power:

screenshot20110718at123.jpg

I installed Dosbox 0.74 and CBoxRun frontend for Windows 7 x64. While not nearly as elegant it has a ton more options to play with.

Anyway I installed and played Chasm under Windows 7. Under hires mode it does run significantly faster but still barely playable. I've turned off any scaling, using max CPU cycles. I've tried playing with scalers, different renderers but none seem to really improve things.

Is there a way to display FPS in games that dont have a built in fps counter?

I've attached the conf for this game if it helps.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox has a readme which tells you where the config file is (~/library/preferences/dosbox 0.74 preferences) and in there all options are described

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 31, by gag halfrunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried all sorts of different settings. Played around with all the renderers and cycles, but Im not really seeing any improvment in performance. In hires its simply barely playable, to choppy for comfort for me.

For giggles I installed Quake for Dosbox (I actually use Fitzquake port for normal play) to see how it would perform. It runs slightly better (not by much though) than Chasm.

Maybe my CPU just doesnt have enough juice, even though its a 3ghz E8400.

Can others please post how Chasm works under their Dosbox configs? You can download the demo and see for yourself. Is it possible to get this game at 60fps under Dosbox on an uber rig?

Reply 14 of 31, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gag halfrunt wrote:

So is a game like this limited no matter how fast a CPU may be?

Not in my experience. I don't know the frame count but it runs nice on my system, Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM. As do Blood and Quake.

Reply 15 of 31, by MasterRyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What precise settings are you using to get it to "run nice" - and how do you define "running nice"? 15/20FPS average? I say this because I have tried changing cycles, video modes, memory etc. to no avail - I simply cannot achieve acceptable performance at 640x480 resolution.

My Specs:

DOSBox 0.74 + D-Fend frontend
Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz
8GB DDR
GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked
Windows 7 64-but Premium + all updates
up to date drivers/BIOS
CPU frequency changing turned off in BIOS (the Intel tech that throttles CPU down to save power)

Also, the game refuses to start if I select "auto" or "dynamic" CPU modes.

it should be noted that all other applications and games are running as expected on this machine, and it is malware/virus free, so not an issue on my end.

Reply 16 of 31, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Start with default settings.
output=ddraw
memsize=63
joysticktype=none

In Game:
Options
Video Modes...
640 x 480 Flat

I don't know what FPS it averaged. The graphics weren't jumpy or anything else that would have interfered with my enjoyment. Thus it ran nice.

Reply 17 of 31, by MasterRyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
Start with default settings. output=ddraw memsize=63 joysticktype=none […]
Show full quote

Start with default settings.
output=ddraw
memsize=63
joysticktype=none

In Game:
Options
Video Modes...
640 x 480 Flat

I don't know what FPS it averaged. The graphics weren't jumpy or anything else that would have interfered with my enjoyment. Thus it ran nice.

Not seeing any difference...and for some reason this one game has really bad sound distortion when I use 85K+ cycles or so (and it doesn't seem to run much/any faster) though other titles like Descent etc. run quite smoothly (40-60fps) with 100K cycles. I've tried normal and simple CPU core, and the game refuses to start with dynamic core selected. tried different virtual graphics card settings and output settings, thusfar nothing has made a difference and 640x480 remains choppy, laggy and just barely playable (though not enjoyable as it is of course impossible to aim with any kind of accuracy).

Reply 19 of 31, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gag halfrunt wrote:

I use Boxer on hackintosh with an E8400 3ghz, 8gb ram ,so I don't think my "shitty mac" has much to do Chasm running poorly. It runs much better at 320x240, but I want to use the hires mode. Carmageddon too runs very slow in Hires, as does Skynet (when it works).

It is a shitty Mac, since it's not the real thing, both Carmageddon and Skynet run fine for me using high-res (but it's not a Mac or, worse, a shitty Mac).
I just tried the shitty Chasm demo...it runs fine in 640x480...even while DosBox is running the demo as I write this.