VOGONS

First post, by ConjurerDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Usind Dfend Reloaded/Dosbox under Windows XP SP3 I got Master of Magic to run. Even with the intro movie and with sound.

However every time I try to cast the spell for Item creation the game crashes back to the desktop.
As far as I know the game has to run Itemmake.exe for item creation.

Is that a known problem with Master of Magic and is there a way around this?

Reply 1 of 4, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Both the item creation spells seem to work ok here (XP, dosbox 0.74, dynamic core, MOM v1.31), as does running Itemmake.exe directly.

Edit: Maybe the game can't write to ITEMDATA.LBX or some other important file (set as read-only?)
Any errors in the dosbox status window when it crashes?

Reply 2 of 4, by ConjurerDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lofty wrote:

Both the item creation spells seem to work ok here (XP, dosbox 0.74, dynamic core, MOM v1.31), as does running Itemmake.exe directly.

Edit: Maybe the game can't write to ITEMDATA.LBX or some other important file (set as read-only?)
Any errors in the dosbox status window when it crashes?

I´m using the fanmade patch 1.40j that builds on the last official patch 1.31 from here:
http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4211

No, no errors. Just quits the game and drops back to the desktop where Dfend Reloaded still is running - just the DOSBOX in which the game ran quits without any errors whenever I try to use the spell to create an item.
No Itemdata.lbx is not read-only.
I used emulation core "auto" with "max" cycles. Dynamic is supposed to be faster but less stable?

Reply 3 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't use frontend, mount and install manually, then run the MoM. Tell us the results.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 4, by ConjurerDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I disabled that dosbox is automatically closed when the program is closed - and the next time the program crashed dosbox stayed open and an error was given:
ITEMPOW.LBX [entry0] has an incorrect record size.

Itempow.lbx is a file from Master of Magic

Edit: On the http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60
forums for Master of Magic it was stated that this error comes from a compatibility issue with the fanmade 1.40j patch and using a german CD-ROM Version of Master of Magic. So it´s no issue of DOXBOX and can´t be resolved here 😢