VOGONS

First post, by Malachi_XX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an older pc which was built by one of those fly-by-night companies that use all proprietary software and you can never get ahold of them when you need them. This is a 2nd pc (Pentium 4) that is used only for non-internet old games.

I've finally got all the processes working (Win2K) and I tried to load Xcom Apoc on the pc. It wouldn't recognize the cd rom, which is a Samsung cd-r/rw 252F, as being fast enough. That's ridiculous since the game came out before burners were even available.

Still it says the cd-r is running too slow to run the game. I needed to use DosBox to even install the game as the settings for Buffers and Files are not easily located in Win2K

I believe the issue is that either the drivers for the cd-r are not correct or DosBox is not commenting in mscdex appropriately. It's probably using a generic form which is using only the least of the cd-r's speed. Is there a way to edit the mscdex instructions to correctly run the cd and run the game?

Reply 1 of 12, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malachi_XX wrote:

DosBox is not commenting in mscdex appropriately.

See the DOSBox readme section on Internal Programs. Be sure to use the -t switch when mounting.

Malachi_XX wrote:

the drivers for the cd-r are not correct

Image the disc as an iso file and not worry that drive.

Reply 2 of 12, by Malachi_XX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used the basic functions -t switch "cdrom". Should I have used a different one?

Can you point me in the correct direction as to how I can image the disk and use that feature. It's been a long time since I tried anything like that. If there are any guides I can download or programs I need to do it with.

thanks for the quick response

Malachi

Reply 4 of 12, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malachi_XX wrote:

Can you point me in the correct direction as to how I can image the disk and use that feature. It's been a long time since I tried anything like that. If there are any guides I can download or programs I need to do it with.

I use MagicISO for imaging.
If there are music tacks for the game image it as a Bin/cue set instead of iso.
Once you have the image the command in DOSBox is IMGMOUNT with the -t iso switch.

Reply 5 of 12, by Malachi_XX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded and installed CDburnerXP and it imaged the game disk to an ISO file like a charm. I then transfered the image to the old pc and using the built in IMGMOUNT function, I mounted the image as the D: drive for the game.

I try to run the game using the xcomapoc.exe file and it just blanks the page and drops to the next line of code c:\XCOMA with a blinking cursor.

Is there anything else I need to do to make it run? To trick the pc into thinking the image is the drive. Do I need to edit or create a bat file to tell it to run from the image drive?

All the help both of you have given me is great but I still need a little more.

Malachi

Reply 6 of 12, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malachi_XX wrote:

using the built in IMGMOUNT function, I mounted the image as the D: drive for the game.

Post the commands as you typed them.

Malachi_XX wrote:

Do I need to edit or create a bat file to tell it to run from the image drive?

The game itself will not be able to tell the difference. It will see what DOSBox shows it.

Reply 7 of 12, by Malachi_XX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about the delay…I had to go work a late shift and didn’t get back until it was too late to do anything on the pc.

The following changes I have made to the Dosbox Con file are as follows

Fullscreen=true
Fulldouble=true
Fullfixed=true

Memsize=500

[Sblaster]

type sb16
BASE=220
IRQ=17
DMA=1

[Autoexec]
mount c c:\ -size 5000000
imgmount d c:\XcomFake\xcomapoc.iso –t iso

Points to make…

-size 5000000 – gives me around 300 MB of extra space (after the install) for saves, running the game, etc…

I installed the game from its image file above

The only configuration of sound card that would function on a TEST was the SoundBlasterPro
BASE 220
IRQ 10
DMA 1

When the dos window locks up and I close it with ALT-ESC it leaves a 2nd window still open that shows the line ….Max memory is 63 MB?
is that something I can change or is it unreachable?

Reply 8 of 12, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A memsize greater than 63 is nonsensical. IRQ should be 7, there is no interrupt 17. Never ever ever ever mount the root of your system drive! Always mount a subfolder! The switch -size will probably not help you. Try -freesize instead with a more realistic number. 400 should be enough when installing most games. I've have never seen more than 600 required.

Reply 10 of 12, by Malachi_XX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SKARDAVNELNATE

I've made the recommended changes to the dosbox conf file

Memsize is 63

[Autoexec]

mount c c:\xcom -freesize 500
imgmount d c:\xcom\xcomfake\xcomapoc.iso -t iso

The Xcom Apocalypse game is currently in the directory called Xcoma which is a subdirectory of Xcom. This puts the game and the image of the cd in separate but parallel subdirectories of the single Xcom directory.

When I enter the game directory and attempt the executable file, the screen hangs.

However, when I exit out of Dosbox, the instruction that Dosbox last gave, shown in the error box, is....

MIDI Opened Device: WIN32

I'm using Windows 2000, which changes all the directories normally found under Windows to be under WNNT. Is it possible that the call for WIN32 is getting lost and can't locate the file?

If that is the case, do I use the provision for Special Instructions to direct Dosbox where to find WIN32?

Thanks for all you help so far, we are whittling away at this issue, one chip at a time. 😁 🤣

Malachi