VOGONS

First post, by strader327

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, after downloading the latest version of dosbox I tried running Nascar Racing 1 on it. Even though I can get it to play just fine, I have a number of problems. First the menu keeps going nuts on me. You know how old dos games menu's are done with the keyboard arrows? Well instead of the selected area standing still until I hit "enter" it keeps going throgh the slection options as if I'm holding down the "down arrow key". But I'm not so this may be some kind of glitch that dosbox has. Also, I can't get the sound to work. Let me know if any of you all can help me and I'll be more than happy to provide you all with any more information that you need. Thanks and take care.

Reply 2 of 13, by strader327

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for responding. I messed around with the configuration file in dosbox with no luck. When I try to change the joystick settings in the game I can't get the controls to to stop going nuts in order to set the controls.

Reply 3 of 13, by paincakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I came across this:

"This game has some minor problems with joystick calibration.
While you can get a joystick/wheel to work, it will seem as if the car
is trying to constantly turn slightly to the left. This is easily corrected
during joystick calibration if you slightly turn to the right on your
joystick/wheel to center the cursor. Also, due to the same problem,
the menu cursor will act erradically sometimes as well. This, however,
is unfixable."

Reply 4 of 13, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember way back when the same type of trouble with N1 (used to race with an offline league on Compuserve way back when).

I don't remember N1 having an option to set the "dead zone" of the stick/wheel/controller. But if using DOSBox, you might see if the Windows "Game Controllers" Control Panel applet provides any options for setting the dead zone.

If so, bump up the dead zone, which will make the controller a little less erratic (due to dirty pots in the controller).

Which leads to another thing; the cause of this is usally dirty pots in the controller, and a lot of games don't provide a means of setting the controller's dead zone within the game. This causes erratic or "jumpy" controller behavior.

If this is the case, you could disassemble the controller, and clean out the pots; spray either tuner cleaner (prefered), or eben simply WD-40 in the little holes in the pots' cases, and move them back and forth a bunch of times.

This effectively cleans the dirt and dust out of the pots, which will result in MUCH better control, and less erraticism (heh, is THAT even a word 🤣?).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 6 of 13, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I run this game perfectly on Dosbox 0.74. I think the problem caused, because you didn't calibrate all axis the first time the game was launched. You have to calibrate all the axis, joystick 1 and 2, otherwise the menu will go haywire, common problem in games with joystick menu control.

Also in the Dosbox config file there is a line in the joystick section which reads by default: timed=true, this causes my joystick to have jitterish calibration, so I always change that into: timed=false for smooth calibration.

As for the sound, have you ran SETUP.EXE to configure your soundcard for the game?

Reply 7 of 13, by strader327

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Procyon, to give you a update, I"m now have perfect sound in the game, but I'm still having trouble with the controller. In case if you are wondering, I'm using a gge909 pc recoil controller. Do you or anyone know how to configure this kind of a controller with DosBox? Thank you all again for your time. Take care.

Reply 8 of 13, by strader327

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FINAL UPDATE: I was able to get the controller problems fixed. I recaliberated my controller in Windows control pannel and I also changed the joystick settings in dosbox. Now everything runs perfect! Thank you all for your time and help! Take care.

Reply 10 of 13, by strader327

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Let's see are you talking about starting the game from an H drive instead of a C drive? If so, no, I had to start it from my C drive since I don't have a H drive on my computer. I only have a C, D and E drives.

Reply 11 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nope, google
nascar racing command line "-h"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 13, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
strader327 wrote:

Let's see are you talking about starting the game from an H drive instead of a C drive? If so, no, I had to start it from my C drive since I don't have a H drive on my computer. I only have a C, D and E drives.

No, if you start Nascar as for example C:\NASCAR\nascar -h, then it will have high resolution graphics (640x480), whereas if you don't use that option Nascar will run in lowres (320x200). You can also open the readme file in the Nascar folder for more info.