VOGONS

First post, by _Tom_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm running DOSBox 0.74 on Mac OS 10.5.8 on a dual 2GHz intel core duo MacBook Pro.

Having a bit of trouble getting the colours in GTA to display properly. When I launch gta24.exe from DOSBox 0.74, the colours display incorrectly. However, my copy of GTA came pre-wrapped with DOSBox 0.72 and I'm able to run gta24.exe OK using that in windowed mode, but when I switch to fullscreen the problem re-occurs.

I've done some googling and playing around with the sdl settings both in the DOSBox 0.74 Preferences file and the dosbox.conf file inside the wrapped GTA.app directory, but no matter what I do I can't get the right colours in 0.74 whether in fullscreen or windowed mode, and I can't get fullscreen in the 0.72 copy.

Don't know if it's relevant, but I've been able to get other games (Warcraft II, Conquest of the New World) to work fine in fullscreen in DOSBox 0.74.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if a few screenshots would help the diagnosis.

Thanks.

Reply 5 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I wonder whether there is any dosbox build available for mac with glide support. I think it may not have this colour problem.

I did a glide build of Dosbox once but didn't have a game handy where the game itself would havbe problems with the colors. Tomb Raider intro movie and Windows 3.x of course still had this issue 😀
I wonder if I have GTA still around in my collection...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I tried with a new built of glide enabled dosbox but I can't get GTA to work. It doesn't seem to want to enter 3DFX mode even though I started the right one. With the same Dosbox, same settings, I can get Tomb Raider to work in 3dfx mode but not GTA 🙁
That said I couldn't find my GTA version (I know I owned the CD-Rom ages ago, but can't remember playing it since I left home ages ago 😀), the free version by rockstar is a Windows only version and the ones I found online are not the full versions and might have stuff cut off 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

he he got to laugh at myself right now 😀
3DFX mode *only* starts if you actually start a game. So far I've only sat at the menu which was in the messed up colors as soon as I actually started a game I was using openglide and the colors were all good.

Btw. in gta24, when I start a game the screen size is messed up (almost like height and width have been exchanged...)

Reply 8 of 49, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the glide version working as well with similar results - the color bug affects only the main menu - as soon as the 3dfx part takes over it's all good again.
Is there any hope for a fix of this particular Mac problem in future DOSBox versions?

Reply 12 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Seriously I would like to take this problem on and would be willing to follow any instructions on how to debug this.

Reply 14 of 49, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't mac using same colour bit order in 16 bit colours as opengl is using in 16 bit colours? cause if it is, it might be possible to use opengl output in mac so that the bit order with be correct

Reply 16 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's a fun bug, when you make screenshot or capture the screen via the built in movie codec, the colors are correct 😉

Reply 17 of 49, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm still affected by this bug, on a i3 iMac with ATI 5670. Despite what they say on this thread it shows even when dosbox is configured not just as vgaonly but even as svga_s3, using stock "Dosbox 0.74 Preferences" file.
Green tint while running as windowed and palette swap if dosbox is configured to run at fullscreen. (and It actually shows on screenshot, too.)
Should I just rebuild it using a newer version of DosBox? or is there any other way to fix this regression?

Attachments

Reply 18 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Of course you are still affected by this bug. No one wrote that it is fixed...

Reply 19 of 49, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, considering that there's no bug tracking system ala bugzilla and I'm not certainly that apt to recognize any fixes by reading at the changes on the SVN source code, I had no other choice than to ask if anything was different since the last update on the matter. Sorry If I necro'ed this post, then.

In any case, from your answer I assume that even if I tried to compile them, svn builds of dosbox would be still broken under Mac Os X.