VOGONS

First post, by derboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Game: Full Metal Jacket 1.01 CD-ROM Version (Mirinae Software)
DOSbox 0.74 (WindowsXP)

CD-Rom drive is mounted as d: (with -t cdrom parameter), but upon starting the game I only get the following message:

CD-ROM drive is D:
F.M.J. CD not found
Insert F.M.J. CD in the CD-ROM drive!!

Tried both with the Original CD and an iso via D-Tools. It's not a problem with a damaged CD, either. The game runs fine in VirtualPC with DOS 6.22

Reply 2 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Or perhaps giving the CD-Rom the correct name (how to is in the readme found at the mount command... atm I don't remember it myself 😀).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please give us your complete mountings, how you installed the game, how you start it and and and...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 17, by derboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Real CD in drive / D-Tools image (one if e: the other f:, else the mountings were identical):
First:
mount d: e:\ -t cdrom

After hint from this thread:
mount d: e:\ -t cdrom -label FMJCD

With Imgmount:
imgmount d d:\FMJCD.img -t iso -fs iso

The game is supposed to be runnable from CD by just starting FMJ.EXE, but I also installed it with INSTALL.EXE (you get to chose soundcard settings, but the installer doesn't ask for a destination and just installs to C:\FMJ).

I also noticed the CD's tracks seem to be written in a non-default manner. I first created an Image with CloneCD, which went fine (and the game can be started from that image in VirtualPC), but I now tried to make one with Imageburn, but the program can't read it properly.

Reply 12 of 17, by derboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Above are my actual mountings for the CD drive/image. I left out the C: mounting first because I thought it was trivial. The actual line is

mount c: d:\

as I wrote less explicitly above. Nothing was ever changed except the various tries for the CD drive/image.

I start to think by now that it's an emulation issue that can't be solved with mere configuration ...

Reply 16 of 17, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CloneCD can create cue sheets as well. I wouldn't use "dodgy" tools like MagicISO or UltraISO. cue sheets and/or ccd files contain info about the disc layout, and as DOSBox can't mount ccd directly you have to use a cue sheet. This cue sheet business is only important if the game contains audio tracks however, otherwise an iso image would be sufficient.