VOGONS

file managers

Topic actions

First post, by Sadist boar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. What file manager should I use inside DOSbox?|:(|

Sad fat people are never good at using complex programs.

Reply 2 of 7, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of them are going to work (I know Norton Commander does, I tried at one point). But why would you do that? DOSBox is almost invariably running in an environment that provides file management outside the emulation, except for special cases like cell phones. Generally it's must faster and less error-prone to use the native file manager of whatever OS you are on to just move files around etc.

-Frob

Reply 3 of 7, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's basically what DosFreak said, only with more words (; . Agreed, anyway. Besides, if one needs a DOS file manager one can use whatever pleases him. NC, VC, GC, DCC - they all work.

Reply 4 of 7, by Sadist boar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use Volkov Commander - a clone/mod of Norton Commander. I have about a dozen games in the machine\disk (C: of dosbox), and not to start/quit dosbox each time I navigate to another game, I use that file manager. I'm looking for another good TUI file manager (possibly, closer to "explorers", not "commanders"). Currently, I have a near-explorer setup of VC - left panel is "tree", right panel is "brief".

Sad fat people are never good at using complex programs.

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are looking at saving time by not having to enter mount commands every time you start a game, just put your mount commands in the autoexec of the config file.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 7, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've always liked Dos Navigator. Recently stopped using "Dos Navigator Open Source Project" because it was always crashing, but the other day started using the original "Dos Navigator" and it works great.

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/dn/

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 7 of 7, by subjugator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Agreed - DN 1.51 is extremely powerful and feature rich, but I find it to be sometimes obtrusive and interfere with proper start up of some games (e.g. Blood Money).

Norton Commander, especially the relatively lightweight version 4.0, is what I use and it works great. Though I am a "commander" guy through and through and still can't live without my Far Manager even under Windows 7 😀